Screaming Eagle The Flight 2018 Vintage Release. Anyone buying these on this board?

Just popped into mailbox.

Dear Mike,

The 2018 vintage of The Flight is formidable: it combines power, elegance, finesse, and longevity in what may be the truest expression of merlot in Screaming Eagle’s history.

Before it is a wine, Screaming Eagle is a vineyard – a breathtaking, sweeping swath of vines composed of cabernet sauvignon, merlot, and cabernet franc. Like our winemaking, our farming is intuitive; there is no prescription for what constitutes The Flight in any given year, other than that the heart of the blend is naturally dominated by the best parcels of old-vine merlot.

The beauty of growing and making wine instinctually is that it allows one to see vintage purely reflected in the bottle, and this has been especially true of The Flight in recent vintages. The 2018 captures the quintessential elegance that only the world’s greatest merlot exhibits: complex layers of spice and red fruit, a perfect balance of power and freshness, fine tannins, and a texture reminiscent of satin.

As always, production is very limited. Acquire the wine now by clicking the Secure Allocation button below and enjoy these bottles as they unfold over the next decade and beyond.

What is the price?

$1950 for the 3-pack.

1 Like

WTF

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what’s the current cost of a three pack of Screaming Eagle direct from the winery? I’m guessing around $6000?

Cheers.

1 Like

$3450

1 Like

Yes, but that is ignoring the buy-one-get-one-half-off coupon from Groupon.

Does anyone who buys Screaming Eagle from the winery actually drink it? Or is it all thought of as an investment? I had eight bottles of 2000 Lafite which was selling for almost $2000 on the secondary market in Asia. Two friends and I opened a bottle one night and had a serious discussion about the pleasure of sipping a $2000 bottle of wine.

Several days later I sold six bottles for $6500 (cost $299 a bottle at the Fairfax, VA Costco) and was extremely happy to get almost $1100 a bottle. The eighth bottle I donated to a charity auction for my industry where it sold for $2100. I took that as a write off.

At a certain price point it’s no longer about what you are drinking. I was fortunate to sell my Lafite at the top of a bubble. Today, about 15 years later, it is still not worth as much.

But that is still too much.