TN: 2005 Domaine Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin ‘Estournelles -St-Jacques’ 1er

I am not sure what I was expecting especially as I could’nt recall buying it! But my fear with most Jadot wines is that they can be too tough and can be charmless, often wines that are like the Penfolds of Burgundy in their youth, in the sense that the wines often seem to be built for longevity on their tannins.
Not this wine, it really is drinking rather well. Red and black fruits, with some earthy tones. Lovely black fruit and floral perfume. Integrating tannins and good length and presence. Still with plenty in the tank. Wish I had bought more.
I guess Estournelles is only made by a few producers hence we see few data points, but this wine suggests that it’s pretty good terroir.

Many years ago I got a solid case of the 2001 Jadot Estournelles for 1/2 price. It’s been a complete joy drinking through that case. Delicious wine.

was this wine a domaine wine or a negoce bottling?

It’s domaine.

1 Like

Title amended to reflect that it is indeed a Domaine wine.

Both Lavaux and Estournelles St Jacques can be very nice wines. They aren’t quite Clos St Jacques, but often are significantly cheaper and a bit of a value play. I’ve been fairly happy with the Jadot versions. You just need to be sure you give Jadot wines enough time (say, 15-20 years).

2 Likes

Because so few have it, Estournelles is far too overlooked - it can be as good as Lavaux. Both Jadot and Fred Esmonin make great renditions of this wine - and Esmonin’s remains brilliant value - truly one of Burgundy’s bargains!

I’m a fan of Lavaux and Estournelles. I have a lone bottle of '95 Jadot Estournelles remaining from my first ever pre-order of Burgundy. I hope it is ready when I crack it.

Cheers,
fred

Jadot’s Estournelles may well be my pet favorite wine in the whole (huge!) Jadot lineup. And Jadot did really well in '05 generally. I had an '05 Jadot Rugiens not that long ago that was brilliant.

Esmonin is cheap across the board; ruchottes for 125