TN: 2007 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay...Plus a DEJA VU...

Another Deja Vu happened…went into the cellar mindlessly to grab a white, and red for tonight…just the wife and I, nothing preconceived…grabbed second to last bottle of 2014 Pierre Morey BB…then my second to last bottle of the Lafarge. Well…and this has happened to me MANY times…went to CT to write a note, and it turns out the last time I had this wine…SAME DAY 5 yrs ago! 9-14-16. And the note from that wine said…“Almost 4yrs to the day since my last one of these…” that bottle was from 9-11-12! And to make it even more twilight zone…bought the 6 bottles initially…you guessed it…9-14-11! [shock.gif] Deja VU is real!!!

• 2007 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay (9/14/2021)
    One of the most satisfying 6 packs I’ve purchased 10yrs ago…all bottles have been a true joy! Wish I had purchased 10 6 packs, as this wine is still climbing. Super perfumed red berry, dried cherry pretties…translucent and feminine, yet still shows a solid handshake structure of crushed minerality…salt rock dryness…a juicy dry…like red licorice, or dried sweet fruits. Subtle elegance, yet one not to shy away from getting dirty…earthy tilled strawberry field, cinnamon stick, dried roses…little sous bois, menthol, leather starting to integrate…still a youthful sour pucker to the long, kick chair back, finish. Just LOVE the easy going subtleness of 07 Burgs…and THIS wine is one of the best! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Had a 2007 Lafarge Clos des Chenes a few weeks ago and it was fabulous also. Great producer, thanks for note.

lafarge is my favorite producer and the domaine i own the most of so i appreciate these notes.

any thoughts on 06 from lafarge? d’angerville pretty much admits mistakes handling the vintage but most notes on lafarge are relatively positive.

time to try a caillerets or let it sit and wait?

For those that care…day two has brought on a deeper earth and incense spice to the wine…showing more tannic dryness, a Barolo-like sour tart citrus…yet still with finesse. No deja vu today.

RIP BW

Well wait a second…OK…when Becky passed, I wanted to pull a bottle in her honor, but I didn’t think I had any bottles that were imported from her. Drank the Lafarge…and there it was. Now…the other wine I opened on that night was the 2014 Pierre Morey Bourgogne Blanc…don’t know if this is DEJA VU…BUT… [whistle.gif]

Hmm. I still have four bottles from my six pack. Last tasted 2/2019.

Great note. People sleep on Lafarge’s Volnay AOC and Volnay VS, instead focusing on the 1ers. For my palate, both are among Burgundy’s most brilliant villages wines. I agree the '07 is wonderful. I’ve also particularly loved the '12 Volnay (no VS made in '12) and '14 Volnay VS, although both are obviously young. Lafarge also completely killed '18 up and down the range.

(Disclaimer: Lafarge may be my favorite Burg producer of them all, so my enthusiasm here is strong.)

guess we know what you are drinking 9/14/26.

Agreed, those are great village wines. If you ever see the 91, 93, or 02, snap them up.