TNs: 2012 Lisini Ugolaia and La Gerla Gli Anelli head to head

I felt like doing a Brunello head to head this past weekend. I know the wines were on the young side, but this is what I wanted and went with it:

• 2012 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino Ugolaia - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (9/4/2021)
    Nose: This saw about 3+ hours of decanting and it kept growing with air. As it opened up, it showed off a distinct, red-fruited, and feminine way about it as it blossoms in the glass with red cherries, strawberries, bright red fruits, berries, savory herbs, spices, sweet tobacco, and loads of rose petals with just a touch of crushed rocks. This is just gorgeous and primary, but with a way that is enticing and all together alluring.

Taste: The feel Full bodied with tart, medium+ acidity and silky, yet sneaky, medium+ tannins. There is a lot of class and elegance to the feel, but the mid-palate is just lacking ever so slightly right now. There is excellent depth and poise as it caresses the palate with red cherries, strawberries, fresh picked berries, savory herbs, spices, and sweet tobacco with all sorts of rose petals on the lengthy finish.

Overall: This is still young, but it is also something quite gorgeous already. This does need a few more years as this feels like it has another gear or two left in it as it shows off a lot of nuance and purity already. (94 pts.)

• 2012 Fattoria La Gerla Brunello di Montalcino Riserva gli Angeli - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (9/4/2021)
    Nose: This took a long while to open up. For the first four+ hours it was dark, brooding, and even a bit woody. It really started to come alive at 6+ hours and pull back into a searching and savory Brunello that is filled with dark red cherries, raspberries, licorice, spices, roasted herbs, tobacco, dark red fruits, leather, and violets.

Taste: The feel is Full bodied with crisp, medium+ acidity and youthful, high tannins. The tannins are a little stiff and taught, but there is excellent depth and balance with dark red cherries, raspberries, dark red fruits, licorice, leather, tobacco, roasted herbs, and violets.

Overall: I was a bit surprised at the wood notes at first given their use of Botte. Regardless, that note pulls back with a lot of air and this is still extremely youthful. This will certainly benefit from 5+ years as there is a lot to like at the moment, but it’s not all in harmony. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes