inside burgundy 2

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Matt Levin

inside burgundy 2

#1 Post by Matt Levin »

One of my favorite all time wine books on burgundy just released a second edition. I ordered mine thought others might be interested.

https://www.sothebyswine.com/ny/shop/in ... morris-mw/

Matt

JFPelletier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: inside burgundy 2

#2 Post by JFPelletier »

Thanks! Just ordered!

JF

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Dav1d S@wyer »

Thanks! I saw Neal Martin post on IG the other day about it. Can't wait to read the new version!
IG: davidswine

Doug Lee
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Doug Lee »

Order placed!

JohnP

#5 Post by JohnP »

Thanks, just ordered a copy!
John Pollard

KyleC

#6 Post by KyleC »

Ordered!
C h e n

J Cangiano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by J Cangiano »

What can I expect from this book? Is it something to study, or a good coffee table book?
J e s s e

Matt Levin

#8 Post by Matt Levin »

Jesse- It is a very detailed orientated book that outlines pretty much each individual plot of land in every commune and the producers who make wines from each. I would only recommend it if you are very seriously a nerd about burgundy or want to become one. If you are looking for a casual read this isn't that. No book will every make up for tasting the wines themselves though. It will be interesting to see if this edition is more opinionated as the author is no longer working in the wine trade.

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Dennis Borczon »

J Cangiano wrote: August 31st, 2021, 3:48 pm What can I expect from this book? Is it something to study, or a good coffee table book?
No brainer if you are seriously into Burgundy. What is better is a subscription to the website. Lots of live events and interviews that are hard to replicate. His tasting notes tend to be more idiosyncratic than other critics, but the depth of knowledge is first rate.

Izak Litwar

#10 Post by Izak Litwar »

I've already purchased it and regretted the purchase a few hours later.

There is no mentioning of a great qpr producer in Gevrey Chambertin, Frederic Esmonin, who appeared in the first edition of Inside Burgundy! His cousin Sylvie Esmonin is mentioned in both editions. JM includes, however, Frederic Esmonin as the owner of a small parcel in Ruchottes Chambertin but at the same time forgets that the same guy has a 0.15 ha parcel in Mazis (Mazy) Chambertin! [oops.gif]

No mention, however, about Beaujolais in the second edition. It's simply ridiculous! [scratch.gif]

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Mattstolz »

J Cangiano wrote: August 31st, 2021, 3:48 pm What can I expect from this book? Is it something to study, or a good coffee table book?
its both. this book is easily the best deep-dive wine book I own. its well written, current, and a wealth of knowledge coming from years of experience and almost unrivaled access to growers and vineyards

side note: I really hope there's a e-book version. I really do love the book... but man the price tag of the first one was nuts.

JohnP

#12 Post by JohnP »

Just received an update this morning-

"We should have the books delivered to us within the next 10 days. Once we receive the books, we will then ship then out. So we are projecting to have them shipped between October 10th – 16th."
John Pollard

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#13 Post by Scott Brunson »

It was great when Jasper was posting here and getting input from some of us Burgheads.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#14 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Got mine today, looks great!

Steve Ellis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Steve Ellis »

I've been reading my copy this weekend as well. I have a basic understanding of Burgundy and this book is a great way to get to that next level.

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by Ethan Abraham »

This book is insane. Maps of every 1er Cru and lieux dit, list of every major domaines holdings, plot maps for major 1er Cru and grand crus, etc, etc. If you were the kind of dorky 12 year old who would read atlases and almanacs, and you love burgundy, you cannot not buy this.

Mont Stern
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by Mont Stern »

I procrastinated but decided to order a copy today.

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Arv R »

Mattstolz wrote: September 30th, 2021, 5:00 pm
side note: I really hope there's a e-book version. I really do love the book... but man the price tag of the first one was nuts.
This publisher doesn't work with Amazon or those kinds of distributor, so expect it to always be a costly book. Jane Anson discussed the rationale in a recent podcast, as she too is keeping her newest Inside Bordeaux, off that platform.

Of my many life mistakes, passing on Neil Martin's Pomerol tome on release - and thinking I could buy it later cheaper/used - is right up there.
R_@_0
https://dilbert.com/strip/1991-12-08

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#19 Post by Ethan Abraham »

I mean it's not cheap for a book but it's cheaper than a village burg from a new producer these days!

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Mattstolz »

Arv R wrote: October 17th, 2021, 9:50 am
Mattstolz wrote: September 30th, 2021, 5:00 pm
This publisher doesn't work with Amazon or those kinds of distributor, so expect it to always be a costly book. Jane Anson discussed the rationale in a recent podcast, as she too is keeping her newest Inside Bordeaux, off that platform.

Of my many life mistakes, passing on Neil Martin's Pomerol tome on release - and thinking I could buy it later cheaper/used - is right up there.
there is an e-book version of the first edition of IB, just not on amazon. I would never want a book like inside burgundy on a kindle though. at least not my current kindle (which, granted, is old), because I cant zoom or view pictures very well. would be terrible experience on my kindle.

C. Mc Cart

#21 Post by C. Mc Cart »

Just got started on this over the weekend and it is very impressive. I'm a sucker for burgundy books and have most of the noted English language ones. This is a step above. 800 pages and as he notes, apart from pragmatic reasons, it could have been larger.
Seems that Jasper has forgotten more about Burgundy than almost anyone will ever know.

Coffee table quality materials & construction too. A bit more difficult and perhaps expensive to obtain not using Amazon or the like, but I'm fine with that decision.
Chris

Return to “Wine Talk”