inside burgundy 2

One of my favorite all time wine books on burgundy just released a second edition. I ordered mine thought others might be interested.

https://www.sothebyswine.com/ny/shop/inside-burgundy-2-book-by-jasper-morris-mw/

Matt

1 Like

Thanks! Just ordered!

JF

Thanks! I saw Neal Martin post on IG the other day about it. Can’t wait to read the new version!

Order placed!

Thanks, just ordered a copy!

Ordered!

What can I expect from this book? Is it something to study, or a good coffee table book?

Jesse- It is a very detailed orientated book that outlines pretty much each individual plot of land in every commune and the producers who make wines from each. I would only recommend it if you are very seriously a nerd about burgundy or want to become one. If you are looking for a casual read this isn’t that. No book will every make up for tasting the wines themselves though. It will be interesting to see if this edition is more opinionated as the author is no longer working in the wine trade.

No brainer if you are seriously into Burgundy. What is better is a subscription to the website. Lots of live events and interviews that are hard to replicate. His tasting notes tend to be more idiosyncratic than other critics, but the depth of knowledge is first rate.

I’ve already purchased it and regretted the purchase a few hours later.

There is no mentioning of a great qpr producer in Gevrey Chambertin, Frederic Esmonin, who appeared in the first edition of Inside Burgundy! His cousin Sylvie Esmonin is mentioned in both editions. JM includes, however, Frederic Esmonin as the owner of a small parcel in Ruchottes Chambertin but at the same time forgets that the same guy has a 0.15 ha parcel in Mazis (Mazy) Chambertin! [oops.gif]

No mention, however, about Beaujolais in the second edition. It’s simply ridiculous! [scratch.gif]

its both. this book is easily the best deep-dive wine book I own. its well written, current, and a wealth of knowledge coming from years of experience and almost unrivaled access to growers and vineyards

side note: I really hope there’s a e-book version. I really do love the book… but man the price tag of the first one was nuts.

Just received an update this morning-

“We should have the books delivered to us within the next 10 days. Once we receive the books, we will then ship then out. So we are projecting to have them shipped between October 10th – 16th.”

2 Likes

It was great when Jasper was posting here and getting input from some of us Burgheads.

Got mine today, looks great!

I’ve been reading my copy this weekend as well. I have a basic understanding of Burgundy and this book is a great way to get to that next level.

This book is insane. Maps of every 1er Cru and lieux dit, list of every major domaines holdings, plot maps for major 1er Cru and grand crus, etc, etc. If you were the kind of dorky 12 year old who would read atlases and almanacs, and you love burgundy, you cannot not buy this.

I procrastinated but decided to order a copy today.

This publisher doesn’t work with Amazon or those kinds of distributor, so expect it to always be a costly book. Jane Anson discussed the rationale in a recent podcast, as she too is keeping her newest Inside Bordeaux, off that platform.

Of my many life mistakes, passing on Neil Martin’s Pomerol tome on release - and thinking I could buy it later cheaper/used - is right up there.

I mean it’s not cheap for a book but it’s cheaper than a village burg from a new producer these days!

there is an e-book version of the first edition of IB, just not on amazon. I would never want a book like inside burgundy on a kindle though. at least not my current kindle (which, granted, is old), because I cant zoom or view pictures very well. would be terrible experience on my kindle.