Which Cru Beaujolais are you drinking?

How is it possible this thread doesn’t already exist? (Or maybe it does and my search skills suck).

Tonight, I opened a beautiful wine to kick off the thread. 2010 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis. I bought in to the 2009 hype and went deep in that vintage, but wound up liking 2008 and 2010 much more.
This wine is drinking well right now. Generous raspberry, cranberry and herbs. Highly structured, with plenty of gas in the tank for further aging. Long and elegant, densely fruited but light to medium bodied. I wish I had more of this than the 2009.

Cheers,
Warren
F22274B6-A4A4-4517-8107-AEDF00300B19.jpeg
27008F6F-DCE0-47E2-8115-5FC7C889FCB4.jpeg
099E165D-EC96-4B24-8F38-1F17E4D626C1.jpeg

3 Likes

Very surprised this doesn’t exist, if it does, I’m sure Todd et. al can merge these without much trouble if needed.

I’ll pop something tomorrow to keep the ball rolling.

Thanks for staring this Warren!

1 Like

2019 from Costco @ $14

Easy drinker while prepping dinner in 100 degree Texas heat.
774E8612-9B43-4088-9927-7032377DBE3D.jpeg

1 Like

There have been a handful of recent threads on Beaujolais that are really good.

I have that Griffe du Marquis as well, actually whole the lineup from 2009 to 2018. It’s quite a unique cuvée. In that inaugural 2009 vintage, I actually prefer the Cuvée Tardive mich better, but after that, often the edge is to the Griffe. You just tempted me to pop a 2010 soon.

Cheers!

Had a 2019 Foillard Morgon Cote du Py this weekend. Crunchy red fruits…delicious.

Went with a 2016 Château de Poncié Fleurie Le Pré Roi end of last week. Was really nice on night one, but seemed to fall flat when I went back to it on night two.

I was thinking of starting a thread for consolidated 2019 Bojo notes but was too lazy. However I did just post about Desvignes’s 2019 Morgon Montpelain: TN: 2019 Louis Claude Desvignes Morgon Montpelain (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

1 Like

Had a 2009 Breton Morgon VV on Friday night…drinking really well at this point although in no danger of fading.

I have one bottle of the 2010 of this left. It’s an easy 6 pack purchase for me each vintage. I skipped the 2018s to buy a case of the 2019’s (when they’re released).

I opened a 2015 Cuvee Tardive tonight and it’s actually really easy to love right now. I tend to think of this wine as needing more time sideways, but this was good to go with 30 minutes in the decanter.

3 Likes

2019 Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Zaccharie - deep dark berried nose, floral, tannins but in an interesting lightweight palate feel. (Note a hint of bandaid reduction blew off quickly.) Will benefit from cellar time. Not quite the palate symbiosis I get from a Roilette but it’s good wine.

The Zachys deal on this was ridiculous. Thanks again to J-C for that heads up.

You’re thanking yourself?

Damn, guess I missed that one!

1 Like

Yeah this is a great wine. I already had some, but definitely jumped on that Zachy’s deal.

Popped a 2019 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly a few nights ago. This wine needs at least two more years before I’ll crack another. Loved the fruit on the 2017 vintage, but the 2019 just seems too disjointed / imbalanced right now.

1 Like

Just had the 2016 Zaccharie with lunch. Drinking very nicely, beautiful fruit, very expressive but lots of sediment (restaurant purchase). I would drink this all day.

1 Like
  • 2019 Yann Bertrand Fleurie Folie - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (9/5/2021)
    Incredibly vibrant wine. Bursting with red fruits and energy, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, roses. On the palate it’s bright with juicy acidity. Accessible right out of the gate. A really fun Beaujolais. Yann Bertrand does it again.

ABV: 13%
Closure: natural cork
Decant: 20min
Stem: Gabriel Glas StandArt
Assemblage: From the youngest vines at Grand Pré which are roughly 30-60 years old. Cold semi-carbonic maceration with native yeast. Aged 1/2 in 500L demi-muids and 2/3 in tank for 7-9 months (barrels a minimum of 4 years old). Racked by gravity and bottled unfiltered with

2 Likes

Another 2016 Zaccharie at lunch. The wine list was showing 2017 Gonon St-Jo for 117 CAD so I quickly ordered it but of course… they were out of it :frowning:

The Zaccharie was a good fallback. Still impressed by the amount of deposit in those 2016. Is it like that every year?

Thread drift but we had a half-bottle of 2017 Alain Gras Saint-Romain Blanc to start. Pretty complex but needs some air to get started.

I assume you were at L’Express? I had a bottle there a few months ago over lunch with onglet et frites (amongst other things), and it was a great afternoon. Can’t beat the price on the list.

Yes I was! The list is not what it used to be since COVID but it’s still one of the best in Montreal, especially price-wise. The Zaccharie 2016 is 77$ on the list. I am waiting for my 2019 allocation from the private import agency and it will be… 68.44$ retail! For 9$ more a bottle, I’ll keep drinking the Express until they’re out of 2016 :slight_smile:.

I agree that the pricing is great - and the veterans that work there are wonderful people. I picked up 2019 Les Sept Vignes and Godefroy from the Ontario importer, but passed on the Zaccherie this time (same price as yours). Definitely better to drink the 2016 at the restaurant in the meantime!

1 Like