Becky Wasserman RIP

I just heard she passed away last night.

She was a pioneer and leader in bringing high quality Burgundy to the US. She had a great interview with Levi I recommend listening to.

RIP.

6 Likes

Damn. RIP . . .

A terrible loss.

What a shame. She has a great episode on Levi’s podcast.

Wow. Major loss. RIP and thank you for your life’s work.

As a (much younger) writer, Becky always took people like me under her wing and had done so for a generation, or two, of writers. There was never anyone like her before and there still isn’t - she opened a lot of doors for a lot of people… RIP

6 Likes

Wow, a true legend and groundbreaker. RIP.

Horrible news. To imagine all of the experiences she would have racked up as such an important part of burgundy expansion and history is impressive - RIP. There’s probably lots of history still resting in her cellar(s).

Such sad news! First met her when I was a student and most recently saw her for lunch the day before I left France for the summer. What a big-hearted, generous, and kind spirit she was!

I was in business with her for many years. So many things I could say.
As Wm Kelley points out, she had a big heart and a kind spirit.

For so many she was the bridge between the West Coast and the Cote d Or. Clendenen is the best example.

1 Like

I had the pleasure of meeting her a couple of times, including a dinner with Sandy Block MW up in Boston. Condolences to Peter, Paul and the rest of the family.

For someone so prominent, she was incredibly generous in meeting with me on a couple of different occasions to discuss my ideas for VinConnect. An icon, but so open, kind and patient in explaining the business of Burgundy to an outsider. I can only imagine how helpful she has been to so many others over decades.

RIP indeed.

It would be fitting if there were a vineyard, or at least a cuvee named after her in Burgundy. She touched many lives there. Never had the pleasure of meeting her in person. A legend.

RIP.

Bummer

Ugghhh, can this year get any worse…don’t answer that. So sorry to hear of Becky’s passing. A true pioneer and talent she had for finding the right vingerons. And as a woman in this industry, she likely faced more challenges, yet so successful. My deepest condolences to her kids (especially Paul who is a friend), Russel and all those that knew her.

I learned of this this morning but could not bring myself to post it as it seemed like it would make it real and I wanted to avoid that. She was a dear, dear friend and I along with thousands of others will miss her warmth, wit and intelligence. She provided me with most of my great burgundy experiences, from supplying the Bachelet wines that I cut my teeth on to seating me next to Denis at her dinner table to taking me with her and Russell to a crazy party celebrating the new cuverie at Domaine Cathiard.

Such a great person and such a loss to the wine community!

the good angel sitting on my left shoulder…

took great pains to show me around Burgundy when i first turned up;
a generous hostess and a lovely creative mind

I envy those of you who knew her. I just admired her and her career from afar.

The wine world just got noticeably smaller.

My wife, who doesn’t really pay much attention to the stickers on our bottles, even recognized the name and made a sad noise.
RIP

1 Like