TN: 2017 Lagier Meredith Syrah (USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder)

• 2017 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (8/17/2021)
    Previous times I’ve had L-M Syrah’s I’ve always liked them, but thought they were on the slightly rustic and ungiving side. But this bottle just sang like a choir yesterday. It was wonderfully enjoyable and didn’t at all feel like a California wine. It had been in my storage at the back of house, and during summers it can get a little hotter than what’s ideal back there, so maybe this sped up its aging somewhat, but the 2017 felt just right last night. Glad I have another one. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Sounds good.

The 2016 drank shockingly well right from release. It was still quite open and delicious a few months ago when I had one.

While I clicked on this to come forward with a ‘babykiller!’ response, I read your note and I, too, would have enjoyed it in the near term, and it sounds like it was extraordinary. I, too, find them very rustic, and enjoyed those with 10+ years on them most of all. That mountain fruit just takes a while to come out!

I’ve opened 4 bottles of the 2012 in 4 years. Black cherry is front and center, followed by black olive, black pepper, and violets. Tannins coat the mouth and it is so good that I don’t feel compelled to age my remaining bottles.

Had the '18 over 2 nights now, and it’s more like my early impressions of L-M - chalky, earthy and a little ungiving. But I can see it will get great with time. But for now hold at least another year - even after a day vacuumed in fridge, it hadn’t changed much, which tells me it has legs.

1 Like

Yes. The 2018 is much more structured.

1 Like