TN: 2018 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett Alte Reben

Glassware: Zalto Universal
Prep: None (pop n’ pour)

Aromas of white flowers, white peach, lemon zest, and slate waft from the glass. While the wine is graceful and elegant on the nose, on the palate it is focused, pure, and intense, with a nice zing of acidity amplified by tart flavors of mixed lemon/lime peel and Granny Smith apple. The citrus and orchard fruit transitions to herbal and mineral notes on the finish, with saline-washed slate and hints of dried sage and tobacco leaf.

Pleasantly surprised this was showing as well out the gate as it did now 3 years post-vintage, when I would’ve expected the wine to be in its muted phase. Glad to have more. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

But I thought 2018 was an “off” vintage? :wink:

Are some 2018s muted already? Had a few that were great. Also, nice usage of waft-- WK-esque.

Producer, producer, producer. Or is that Burgundy? [wink.gif]

I had a 2018 JJ Prum GH Kabi recently that I thought was not as exuberant as it was on release. My only other reference point.

You seem to have missed the “trophy wines or nothing” trend on WB.

For how hard Falkenstein is has been to track down recently, I’d say there’s some “trophy wine” status there [snort.gif]

More like Beanie Baby, but yeah.

3 Likes

If that means in 10 years I can buy a bunch of them easily and at half the original price, I’m all for it champagne.gif

1 Like