Question on Valle d'Aosta

I keep hearing of single vineyard wines from Valle d’Aosta but could not find any maps to add them to weinlagen-info. Any ideas, sources?

Not at all answering your question, but one of my favorite little wines from there is made from the very rare Mayolet grape:

Skied out of that town decades ago. Was a truly lovely visit.

So, I guess this is now a thread in which nobody will have an answer for the OP but we can all share our experiences on the place and about its wines, right?

Right.

A lovely spot. Visited a few producers there. The IAR (local agronomic institute) are doing invaluable job by constantly searching for any lost local varieties and if the varieties prove to be something they haven’t seen before, they take cuttings and propagate those in their museum vineyard. The students of IAR can make their own wine projects from these lost, super-rare varieties and IAR make their own commercial wines from them, too.

Many of the varieties we know Aosta is famous for were actually saved and kept alive by IAR - most of them would probably be extinct if it weren’t for this institute.

And so it happens, my avatar picture is of me in the IAR tasting room when we were going through their wines (with a bottle of IAR Pinot Noir)!

Hopefully this aided Charlie in his hunt for Aosta vineyards! :smiley:

1 Like

On Jancis’ site there is a very simplistic map which only shows which towns are the wine area, Morgex to Donnas, IE the length of the valley.

I’m not aware of different vineyard bottlings - on the whole varietal and relatively locally defined regional. I guess the IAR museum/research vineyard would count at a stretch.

Trying to think of bottles that I’ve had and I think the likes of (La Crotta) Esprit Follet Fumin and Les Cretes Chardonnay Cuvee Bois are just brand names, though Vigne La Tour Fumin (also from Les Cretes) might well be, given the name.

It seems to me that the benefits for designating vineyards would be for consumers to identify if there were specific attributes they liked about wines from those plots. But are purchasers even able to identify the different grapes / villages to begin with?

That would seem like the first thing to get sorted out. I’ve had a few wines from the region - and enjoyed them - but I would not be able to say anything beyond: red and tasty.

Hats off to you for wanting to do maps of Valle d’Aosta. I’m certainly in the camp that can’t help you out, but maybe reaching out to some importers and producers will yield positive results. I wish I had more to say, but I don’t think I’ve even had 20+ wines from the region (and 20 is probably on the high side)