Kobayashi Release

Such a huge fan of these wines and the family that makes them. I keep telling my wife that I’m buying a high-end designer hoodie… that comes with a free case of Cotes-du-Rhone style wine!

“Originality is most important, everything else is secondary.”
– Anselme Selosse (personal conversation, June 19th, 2021)

Dear Friends of Kobayashi,

Here we go again. Across the board, the wines in this set are the best we have ever produced and we are very excited to share them with you. General housekeeping is in the next 4 bullet points, with much additional information following.

1. Mario manages the wine orders / allocations manually and tries to spread the wines to as many people as we can while giving some priority to recurring customers. To order, simply reply to this email requesting your wines within one week and she’ll send you an invoice (please respond by August 9th). Pricing is unchanged at $55/ea for white wines and $75/ea for red wines; a few magnums of the reds are available at 2x 750mL price.

2. If you buy the recommended case mix you will receive a hoodie with art we pulled from a Meiji period textile with the Kobayashi family crest (as always we don’t sell hoodies—they are only for our case-buying customers and the art changes annually). This year the Kobayashi case is: 3 Viognier; 2 Marsanne/Roussanne; 3 Syrah; 2 Sans Soufre Syrah; and 2 Cabernet Franc ($800). The art motif on the hoodies is Nami Chidori (more below).

3. We were hoping to resume our big party tradition in 2021, and while things feel like they are creeping back to normal, I think a gathering with several hundred people is not responsible at present. I really miss seeing you in person and pouring our wines into your glass. We are working out the details for a special tasting and pickup option in Seattle during the first 2 weeks of September—more details to follow. Wines will ship out starting in September or as soon as the temperature is safe and we charge a fixed shipping cost of $4/bottle($48/case) in the lower 48 states.

4. If you are interested in purchasing any of these wines please reply to this email with: a) your request; b) whether you plan to pick up your wine in Seattle during the first 2 weeks of September or your shipping address; c) the size of hoodie(s) you would like if you are purchasing a case (or 2).

On to the wines!

2020 Viognier
Each year that we have produced viognier it has improved by orders of magnitude. This version has the hallmarks of prior vintages, but the classic fruit and floral qualities of Viognier are now really at the forefront as the percentage of new oak has declined. As it was in prior vintages, this wine is natively fermented in French oak barrels. Because of the north facing aspect, low fruit zone, high density planting, and immaculate farming at WeatherEye vineyard, this wine has incredible natural acidity that puts it in stark contrast to most white wines (especially viognier) from this region. Before meeting with Yves Gangloff last month to collaborate on this wine, I felt like it had hit its zenith and I could finally start working on consistency instead of year-on-year improvement. But after being further inspired by Yves, I’m full of new ideas on how to keep improving the wine and therefore consistency has taken a back seat once again. This is all to say that although our 2020 Viognier is incredibly delicious, I can still sense a veil between where we are and where we might want to be. Voltaire said ‘the enemy of good is better.’ I’m a long way from enlightenment and am happy to tear things down and rebuild in order to continue seeking the better—I hope you expect nothing less from Kobayashi! In sum, if you’ve loved our Viognier in years past then you’re sure to love this one even more, but don’t be surprised if we change things with future vintages as we continue to pursue perfection at the cost of consistency.

2020 Marsanne-Roussanne
Before making my first Marsanne I hosted a tasting for a few excellent winemakers and friends. We opened ~12 different Hermitage Blancs and Saint Joseph Blancs to get a feel for the diversity of this varietal’s expression in the northern Rhone Valley—its place of origin. I also did research on winemaking techniques with different percentages of Roussanne cofermentation (when I could find this info, which was difficult because in the Rhone many of the vineyards are coplanted, so yields and percentages may vary annually or the producers don’t know/care enough to disclose it). It was very educational and several consistent themes emerged. My biggest take-away was that Roussanne cofermentation greatly impacted my enjoyment of the wines in an approximately linear dose-dependent manner. Unfortunately, this was somewhat heartbreaking because getting enough good Roussanne to add to our Marsanne was simply not possible. Dick Boushey had let me pick a few totes of it in prior vintages—which probably equated to 1% of the final bottling at most. In 2020, Dick allocated us enough to make a hugely positive impact, so we decided to give the Roussanne credit on the label.

People have told me that prior vintages of Kobayashi Marsanne changed their fundamental view on WA white wines—both what it was and, more importantly, what it could be. Those prior vintages were the stepping stones, and this 2020 vintage is the rocket to Mars(anne). To perfect this vintage I used cigar shaped barrels, which increases contact with the lees and adds a textural component that is hard to wrap my head around (needless to say next vintage I’m planning on repeating the use of these barrels). As you know from prior newsletters, we don’t use critical reviews to try to convince you to buy our wines, and if it were up to Mario we wouldn’t submit wines for scoring at all (this is an ongoing and unresolved topic of discussion in our quality-obsessed household). However, the fact that last year’s Marsanne made Owen Bargreen’s (now the Washington reviewer for Vinous) #5 spot on the top 100 wines of the year and his overall top white wine at 96 points was an affirmation that our wines are striking the right notes even among people who taste 1000s of wines per year. Believe it or not, the current 2020 version is even better.

If you are new to our list don’t be surprised by the color of this wine. We do about a week of skin contact (mostly aqueous prior to alcoholic fermentation so definitely not an ‘orange wine’), which extracts complex aromatics that we definitely don’t want to filter out. Therefore, a little swirl of cloudiness is expected.

2020 Sans Soufre Syrah
This is a wine that will never be able to scale up to large production. Each grape cluster is individually placed into our rotating fermentation puncheons by hand. It took us two full days with the help of friends and family just to get the fruit inside the barrels for the 2020 vintage. The wine is 100% whole cluster Syrah fermented in neutral puncheons, which is then pressed and aged 9 months in neutral puncheon and never racked off the lees. I changed up a few things from the previous vintage and like this one more—which is the theme of this release: all of the wines are better! We only plan to make the Sans Soufre in some vintages, and I doubt if we will ever make more than 500 bottles in a given year. To share something personal with you that reflects the result of this process and limited production: last year I received a text from someone in Seattle who has probably tasted more great wine in the last 40 years than anyone else in WA; he tried the Sans Soufre and told me that it was the best new-world (read non-French) Syrah he had ever tasted (among 1000s I’m sure). He also noted that we should be charging much more $ for it than we presently do. Well, coming from him, this was about the best compliment we could have received… the price, however, will remain the same.

2019 Kobayashi Syrah
This is a new wine for Kobayashi, so I’ll step back to explain how it came into being. A fitting place to start is to note that early in my winemaking journey I decided that I would never make a Syrah. It is my favorite grape, and I thought that I would prefer to simply enjoy it than tear myself apart chasing the dragon of perfection. When Yves Gangloff agreed to consult for my viognier, I knew it would be a missed opportunity not absorb everything I could about Syrah as well (since he is best known for his Côte-Rôtie Serene Noir—which approaches 100% Syrah but with a little Viognier coferment). Anyway, long story short, Yves told me that before taking any direction it would be best if I were to develop my own methods (which is where the Sans Soufre came from last year). As an extension of this self-directed, unique approach to Syrah comes this 2019 Kobayashi Syrah, which is our Gangloff Côte-Rôtie-inspired WA wine. As you would all be well aware, Washington State is not Côte-Rôtie (and in fact not even close in a variety of important respects). If I had tried to copy Yves’s wines exactly, the effort would have probably produced something like fake plastic flowers—which as Radiohead notes might look like the real thing, but eventually wears you out.

The fact that Gangloff is a non-formulaic winemaker is an additional safeguard against our Syrah and Viognier becoming soulless imitations. We talk philosophy and intent more than replicable behavioral/chemical process. Last month I travelled to France with the sole purpose of pouring this wine for Yves and discussing it. Before going I already had ideas of what I wanted to change to improve it for the next vintage (we make changes to improve all of our wines each year). Gangloff was shocked at how fresh and young the wine tasted. I told him my thoughts about changing the percentage of whole clusters and new versus neutral oak, and he agreed. He also agreed that this 2019 Syrah is serious, and perhaps the most intensely aromatic wine we have produced. It carries a lot of the same notes as the Sans Soufre, but instead of wafts and whispers of complexity, this wine is painted with splashes of rich, vivid, inky color. This is relative of course, as these grapes come from north facing vines and extreme viticulture—so very different than wines grown in a more standard way and positioned to get maximum sunlight. This bottling also has a small amount of Viognier cofermented with the Syrah, which adds some beautiful floral notes. In sum, this wine is all about breaking my own rules and understanding that anything worth doing is worth doing in a way that attends both to the idiosyncrasy of our individual style, commitment to quality, and the natural qualities inherent in a vineyard and the glorious fruit we get from it.

2019 Cabernet Franc
You may have noticed that the vineyard designation on our Cab Franc was dropped in 2018. That was done in preparation for our goal with this wine: showcasing the complexity of WA Cabernet Franc by sourcing fruit from multiple vineyards and regions. We have been actively seeking out the best Cab Franc vineyards from multiple AVAs and in the 2019 vintage we were able to do this for the first time. The result is, in our view, incredible. I love this wine and think you will too. It was aged in once-used barrels so there is no new oak, but the barrels were also not completely neutral. The fruit came in very concentrated, so the wine is packed with flavor, but I always try to pick at a time that preserves the classic Cab Franc herbal signature. I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one, which is more approachable now than the 2018. This means if you’re keeping the 2018 version in the cellar—which I recommend doing for as long as possible—you’d be well justified in picking up some of these 2019s and popping one of them! On this point take note: there may be no 2020 Cab Franc as I note below (including the Mizunara spring release) due to many vines being smoke affected in 2020. However, the stars aligned in the 2021 bottling, which includes fruit from most of my favorite vineyards. This is all to say that if you like our Cab Franc, then these 2019s will do a great job of tiding you over while you wait on your 2018s to mature and for the next release which will be the 2021 vintage in a few years time. Drink up!

2020 smoke issues
Those of us living on the west coast of the United States experienced some horrific smoke last year. Unfortunately, it has already started up early this year due to a heat dome over the Pacific northwest and ongoing drought. During certain stages of grape maturation, they are susceptible to picking up smoke compounds that can be very noticeable in the wine later. It is a complex process with multiple contributing variables, including grape variety, timing of smoke exposure, and distance from the fire. In 2020 the smoke intensity was literally off the chart (at AQI 500, which is the highest the scale measures), but our sites were quite far away from the closest fires and therefore I felt confident that we had dodged a bullet (based on reading others’ experiences in California and Australia). After many fermentation tests and lack of any smoky aromas in our wines, I was happy with the 2020 vintage. Unfortunately, our Cab Franc in the Mizunara Barrel has started smelling a little smoky—because the most predominant characteristic of that barrel is Japanese incense, I think it was masked for the first 9 months of aging. I’m not counting out the Cab Franc yet, but obviously if the wine’s quality is negatively affected by smoke then we will not be bottling it. Therefore, I wanted to alert you all to the fact that there may be no Kobayashi Cab Franc in 2020. However, as I described above the other wines are incredibly exceptional and have escaped any 2020 issues entirely, as you will find out soon with the whites and Sans Soufre Syrah. The 2020 vintage in Washington was fantastic for winemaking, but because smoke did damage some wines for some producers you have to be careful of what you are buying. Yet, if someone tells you that all WA wines from 2020 should be avoided due to smoke taint, this is simply not true. As our 2020 wines exemplify, many vineyards and varietals look exceptional, and we at Kobayashi Wines look forward to adding joy to your life by tasting and sharing some wonderful 2020 wines.

Hoddie Art
Finally, this year’s hoodie art is of the Nami-Chidori (#波千鳥) motif of waves and birds. These are printed in white on navy which resembles the natural indigo resist dye technique Tsutsugaki (筒描き) that is used to create the original textiles. The waves are a symbol of worldly concerns, and the chidori symbolize perseverance as they are known for having an ability to fly through strong winds and over high waves during migration. Therefore, it is said that chidori flying among the waves represents the human ability to overcome challenges and achieve goals. Waves can also represent surges of good luck, which we can all probably use right about now.
Thank you for reading! We are so grateful for your continuing support of our small family winery and we are committed to providing you with delicious wines that we hope will bring joy to your life and those of others with whom you might share our wines.

Cheers!
Travis & Mario
mario@kobayashiwinery.com

2 Likes

Will be in for one of each for sure, would be more if not for that damn border, love Travis’s wines!

1 Like

The San Soufre syrah last year was most excellent!

3 Likes

+1 on the SS

I did a pick&choose the last release, but went for the full Maru this time. Have loved every wine over the previous four releases.

Cheers [cheers.gif]

1 Like

My first opportunity to purchase. General consensus on the whites? Those almost sound more tempting than the reds to me!

I’ve been a big fan of the whites, almost more than the reds given the Cab Franc needed some cellar time. At some point I recognize there is some confirmation bias going, but I think they’re fantastic and remind me of the CdRs I enjoyed for a couple of years in France.

They are all high quality in my experience. I have had more of the whites as, like Andrew, I am letting the reds age. The one exception was a Cab Franc a few years ago, and the Sans Soufre Syrah last year – both were excellent. The whites are really the best I have had from WA – the only other one that comes close is Delmas Viognier. There are other good whites from WA out there, but Kobayashi is in a class apart.

I really wish I could try Kobayashi up here in Canada. Was going to grab some on the last two aborted Washington trips… and no idea when I’ll get to visit America again (if ever).

Thanks for posting that email, Andrew.

Very nice to see winemakers communicating in such detail about smokey vintages. We had a very disappointing 2018 in the Okanagan, with all the producers (even friends) claiming there was no smoke taint. And when I picked it up on every red I heard either “you must have a hypersensitive palate for smoke” or “test show there is no official smoke taint”.

Sean, I have some Kobayashi I’d be happy to share with ya if you’re ever in Victoria?

3 Likes

Looks like the new release is open. Loved the marsanne-Roussanne last year…definitely grabbing more and trying some of the reds!

Amazing wines. The Cab Franc needs time, though. His Viognier is my wife’s favorite wine, ever. And agreed that the Marsanne-Roussanne is outstanding.

Picked up a new designer hoodie yesterday. So happy it came with a case of amazing wine.

1 Like

Went back and re-read Travis’s release mail and thought I’d post it again. The guy puts so much into his wines, and you can totally see it here. So happy to see great things happening for great people (Travis and Mario).

I’ve been writing and rewriting this newsletter for quite some time. I spend so much time each year obsessing about how to make our wines interesting and better, that it becomes all too easy to weave poetic significance into what we do. I am thrilled about these wines, and this year’s release letter is my best effort NOT to wax lyrical about them. The reality is, when we get together with friends and we drink a great bottle, we never say things like ‘illuminating singularity’ or ‘echos of verticality’ (thanks BG). We might instead say something like ‘That is F-ing good!’ The best hope I have for Kobayashi wines is that they cause you to mutter expletives when you smell and taste them.

One final thought before we get on to the wines…

There is an unusual feeling when we send our wines out to you. I wouldn’t go so far as to say we experience empty nest syndrome, but it is almost as if they have vanished into the void. We don’t know if they are buried in a cellar or being consumed. Occasionally someone tells us they loved our wine, or they had a meaningful reconnection with an old friend and shared a bottle of Kobayashi. It feels great to know that we play a small part in your lives and our wines live on as part of your fond memories. Perhaps Sean Thackrey, one of my earliest and most influential winemaking inspirations, said it best regarding the satisfaction of knowing that someone loved and was moved by the wine he made: “It makes it all worthwhile – the dirt, the hassle and all the rest of the work that is involved – that you’ve really brought something off that has been a real pleasure. That is really the whole point of the whole deal: that it is one of life’s great sensual pleasures. That is definitely what makes it worthwhile from my point of view.”

I corresponded with Sean Thackrey a few times and he changed the way I think about wine making. He instilled confidence that allowed me to carve out my own path. I never told him how important he was to me, and now I’ll never be able to because, sadly, he died a few days ago. I don’t think I’m alone with the feeling that I’m waiting for some day in the future to come where life will really begin, all the while my days are slipping by. There has never been a better time than now to share experiences and let people know how much you love them. Let’s bring some real living into the world.

Wines:
2021 Viognier

This wine is notably absent from the case mix. We have a minimalist and hands off approach to winemaking, so sometimes the wines follow their own time-line. 2021 Vio seems to have zero concern with our release schedule, and hopefully we’ll be able to offer this as a stand alone release in the fall or winter.

2021 Marsanne/Roussanne
I’m afraid to say too much about this (which I know is uncharacteristic of me). To recap, the '19 was so interesting and good that I woke up in cold sweats for a year because I was afraid I could not replicate it. The '20 and '21 (thankfully) have followed suit. It gets a week of skin contact, but i wouldn’t classify it as an ‘orange’ wine. Kobayashi Marsanne/Roussanne is both a chameleon and kaleidoscope of aromatics, colors and shapes on your palate – everchanging, ever new, ever improving. Since day one I have made the repeated mistake of not holding enough wine back for ourselves because: a) we need to sell all the wine to keep the business going; and b) we want to keep our customers happy. I know I’ll regret this, because I have a nagging feeling that the last bottles of this I open in 10-20 years will be the best. One more thing about this wine: no points attached, but the Washington wine reviewer for Vinous (Owen Bargreen) released his Top 10 wines consumed in 2021 a few months ago and it contained some of the best wines ever made. 1990 Lafite, Domaine de la Romanee Conti, Cristal, and also 2020 Kobayashi Marsanne/Roussanne. Pretty wild to be mentioned in the same context as the greats, because I feel that we are just getting started!

2021 Sans Soufre Syrah
I need to figure out a way to make more of this wine. The hours of work involved are restrictive – during a harvest we expect to work early mornings and late nights, but at times we tend to pass the point of reason. Luckily, our son Haven took a few days off work and school to help this year, and the crew at Force Majeure lent a hand in a big way. I’m afraid that after this year, the new Kobayashi case buyers will get zero instead of one bottle in their allocation… One of the best compliments I received all year was that someone in the wine industry blinded their tasting group on the 2019 version of our Sans Soufre Syrah. It was unanimously called out as ‘Young Cote Rotie’ - some of the producers they conjectured had made it are my favorites. This is Washington Wine and we owe a huge thanks to Cam Myhrvold and Ryan Johnson for the vision and ability to plant this north facing mountain and allowing me to take some risks to make something pure and expressive of the vineyard site. This is the stripped down, naked expression of how beautiful Syrah can perform in our region. 100% whole cluster, native fermentation, neutral oak puncheon.

2020 Syrah
Last week when I sampled this wine I had an ‘Oh F*ck’ moment. The wine is almost too good. I’m probably going to have recurring stress dreams about this one, as I did with the Marsanne. Back to the basics: olive tapenade, meat, candied dark cherries and raspberries and earth, and great balance of the savory aspects of wine with the sweet perception that our region delivers (not actually sweet). I still feel the need to make some process changes, but we are on the road and heading quickly where we need to be.

2020 Red Wine
Sometimes we make decisions that are tough to justify financially – for example, entering the wine making business! Luckily, Mario and I are in full control and we allow our customers (you) to make the final decision in various ways. So, anything we do that increases the quality of wine in your glass (and cellar) and the quality of your memories at a lower cost for you is a big win. We have gone through extensive blending trials with our reds this year. We had never intended to NOT make a Cabernet Franc as that was the only wine we made for our first few years – and it is a wine that more than a few people have told us is their favorite Washington wine, period. However, consistent with the theme of bending without breaking, when we discovered that the best wine we could make included a couple of barrels of merlot we were experimenting with, the choice became painfully simple and clear: sell the best wine possible, even if it is contrary to our plans and pocketbook. The biggest self inflicted wound here is that the wine was orders of magnitude better with the Mizunara Cab Franc blended in, and so we chose to take the financial hit and add a substantial amount of this exquisite rarity into our red blend. So, for those who were unable to purchase the Mizunara due to its cost or because it was sold out by the time you responded, you will get to experience the rarity of Japanese Mizunara Oak aged Cab Franc in this wine – which makes up roughly 40% of the final blend. As an aside, there is an aspect of my wine enjoyment that I feel slightly ashamed about. It is a love for the wines of Bordeaux (Pomerol in particular). Philosophically, I prefer to support the small, family run artisan farmers/winemakers of the world and the fact that many Bordeaux estates are now owned by luxury brands, insurance companies, and such entities makes me wish I did not enjoy the wines so much. But I do. The richness, ageablily, and slightly herbal quality strike a nerve that is both intellectual an enjoyable. Offering this from WA, our red blend is Kobayashi’s take on a right bank Bordeaux blend. It is richer than most of our wines and has incredible aromatics of violets and cherry liqueur, but it stays grounded in an earthy mushroom and herbal backbone. The Mizunara impact is significant, giving the wine a cedar and japanese insense aroma. I don’t like to speak in absolutes, so I’ll just mention that there is a high probability we’ll never make this wine again. Due to low yields we were only able to produce one barrel of Merlot in 2021, so I’m not sure what we can do with a single barrel, and those who have been along for the ride know that Mario has officially limited Kobayashi to 4 grape varieties (with the occasional experimentation permitted). I can’t envision which of our four main grape varieties Merlot would be capable of dethroning. The label for this blend is the balance of the libra. I had been saving that label design for an eventual blend of Grenache and Mourvedre that I felt was an inevitability of the future. However, currently I don’t have any plans to dip my toe into Southern Rhône varieties, and this year’s red blend reaches a balance that I could have only dreamed of – so perhaps this departure from the plan will guide us down a different path in the future… how could it not?

(dense paragraph about the future of our Cab Franc was deleted from this location – you’re welcome)

Glass - Needless to say, the curse of having a Type-A personality occasionally leads one into strange pursuits of happiness. I have been obsessing over a certain color and shape of glass since 2014, and finally got it for last year’s wines. I don’t know if a single person noticed the difference, but the champagne green burgundy glass left me deeply pleased. It was all lined up and ordered again for this year, but was pulled at the last minute. The global supply chain disruption has been a disaster for wineries, including a lack of ink for labels, late arrival of barrels and supplies, skyrocketing cost of goods and so forth. I finally ordered glass by saying ‘just please send me whatever you have’. It was a difficult compromise to accept. One of our glass types this year will be too heavy and the other extremely light – hopefully that will balance out. I wanted Champagne green, and got dead leaf green, but at least we got something!

Not everyone knows this, so I just wanted to make it clear that we plan to stay small. We are roughly 75% of the way to our maximum production goal, so the fact that you are ‘in early’ is special for us and we will strive to keep Kobayashi exciting for you with amazing wines for years to come. That being said, this feels like a transition year, and we want to have a party in Seattle where we are not concerned about the logistics of pick-ups. So, we will be shipping/delivering only this year. Sorry! We apologize in advance to our local customers, and we will subsidize it by only charging $4/bottle ($48/cs) – FYI, the required signature for alcohol costs $7 alone!

Along the same lines – we highly encourage (but don’t insist) on buying the case mix. It helps us focus our attention on bringing you the best product possible, which is why we give the hoodies out of gratitude.

In Closing: you have no idea how much we appreciate your continued support. We will continue to experiment and push boundaries… as a matter of fact, I already have a of couple wild ideas for wines that we will make in 2022. I’m also pleased to say that the wines are getting better every year, and we have some very cool stuff in the pipeline. We hope you stick around because the best is yet to come, and we are working towards our dream of having an organic vineyard where you can come visit us.

We hope 2022 brings you great experiences, love, relaxation, and moments of overwhelming joy.

Travis and Mario
Kobayashi Winery

Bought the whites this past spring and picked up a few of the reds this week. Tried the Syrah at HdR this year and look forward to the new release.

looking forward to my case and hoodie as well Andrew. love the wines, price and people. that is a good combo

I do love these wines! [cheers.gif]

Discovered them thanks to this place, by the way.

Bought a few bottles last year and a few more yesterday. I’m eager to try my first bottle this summer and see what I think. I love reading the release emails. So much passion!

1 Like

Bought the San Soufre syrah as always! man 1 btl allocation! love the wine…

2 Likes

In for a case, love the wines and the people.

1 Like

I just joined this list recently and it sounds like I’m on a secondary offering this year. Can someone share the price range for this offering? Thanks, hope some is left for me

1 Like