Grand Cru/Elite/Best Pinot Noir Vineyards of California

Rusty/Prince of Pinot takes a stab at it:

https://www.princeofpinot.com/article/2324/

Whether you agree with his classification or not, his background details on each vineyard is an interesting and valuable compilation.

I think Rusty’s vineyard list is thoughtful. Some omissions to be sure (where is Rhys’ Skyline?) but a thoughtful discussion starter.

I have had a decent sample size over the years and have yet to have a wine from Fiddlestix that made me sit up and take notice. That is my only real issue with his list but more than half of the listed vineyards are ones where I just don’t have enough experience to agree or disagree.

1 Like

I’ve been buying and drinking California Pinot Noir for over 20 years, and there are vineyards on that list I have never even heard of.

Not quite sure what to make of the list.

I absolutely hate this. Last thing I want to see is some arbitrary hierarchy of vineyards. In Burgundy it probably makes some sense, where you have long history, and fairly clear geographical stratification. In California it is total BS. Not to mention that everyone’s list would be completely different.

Eh. I never get the point of this exercise. I guess for wine broadcasting, which is more likely the case of a publication even of PP’s super specific nature compared to this arena, then there is some sense so readers newer to things can get a broad view all at once. Nonetheless, feels like this ultimately and always becomes an exercise in listing every vineyard that anyone knows about. In a room full of vineyard owners if you asked for a show of hands of who there thought they had the best vineyard nearly every hand would go up.

Well, that’s just like your opinion, man. What would YOU know about judging the quality of multiple pinot vineyards?

Oh, nevermind. [cheers.gif]

And where’s Santa Barbara etc? I know of a few PN wineries there I’d put right up at the top. Or is he only talking about estate growers?

Agree…I also think his list is slightly too long to establish a “Grand Cru” type pecking order. But, then, there are 33 Grand Cru (correct?) Burgundy vineyards, so maybe his list is OK.

There are a number of SBC vineyards listed - you need to go down to Part 3 - Central Coast.

Interesting list - and there certainly are others down in SBC that probably should be added. Radian in the Sta Rita Hills sticks out as one that should; I would add Kessler-Haak as well (sits adjacent to Clos Pepe) and there should/will be many more added me thinks in the coming years.

Cheers.

1 Like

Looking through the details it seems like Rusty’s classification is more about producer than vineyard. About some of the vineyards I’m torn. I love Littorai’s Hirsch, e.g., but other Pinots I’ve tried from there have been inconsistent at best.

Happily a formal classification will never happen. Nobody could agree on it, and we Californians could teach the French a thing or three about litigation!

Yeah, but they can go on a world class strike!

I was relieved to see Sea Smoke on that list since they have been a Grand Cru for many years now! Thanks goodness!!

[snort.gif]

1 Like

Hmm bureaucratic delay is a team sport. It should be in the Olympics!

Perhaps you’re not as woke as you thought! [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

Well that makes zero sense, but what else should I expect from you.

Then, wouldn’t we also need to discuss Grand Cru syrah? [stirthepothal.gif]
Purely a joke.

1 Like

You’re a quite literal individual, aren’t you? Perhaps that’s why we rarely see eye to eye. Are you an actuary?

Nope. Reformed Engineer who now works in Corporate Legal. I make actuaries look casual.

10 for me and agree with you - I would have narrowed this list down to 5-15 vineyards max. If I had to pick 5, would be based on multiple producers making consistent quality wine, very well known in the wine industry at that:

Bien Nacido
Gary’s
Pisoni
Rochioli
Sanford & Benedict