I think I'm in love- Comando G

My CellarTracker Tasting Note for 2016 Comando G La Bruja de Rozas, which is their entry level bottling. Links at the end;

Wowww, this is shockingly good. Found this at a local shop (their last bottle) on sale for $26. What a bargain! I’ve heard that Grenache/Garnacha, when made in the right style, can closely resemble fine red Burgundy. But I’d never experienced that until this bottle. At such a low price, I probably would not have taken this bottle so seriously if I hadn’t already read Eric Asimov’s article on Comando G. Luckily, I had read the article, so I had this at cellar temp, out of a big Burgundy Grand Cru glass, and paid attention. It easily could have been 1er cru Chambolle-Musigny, no joke.

The color is translucent ruby, crystal clear, a watery rim, not a hint of browning. Aromas are gorgeous cherry, cranberry, raspberry, lots of rose petals, a bit of mushroom, moss. The nose, to me, is very autumnal, though remaining fresh. The palate is smooth, sexy, mouth filling, lively, and a touch medicinal. Tannins are very gentle and smooth. Though it really does taste like Burgundy, knowing that it’s a Spanish Garnacha, I am convinced I can pick up a rugged stoniness that is not in your typical Burgundy. Maybe it’s my romantic imagination…

I didn’t start cooking dinner until after 7pm, so I didn’t want to go to the store. Which means throwing something together with whatever I’ve got in the fridge. One of my favorites for times like these is Chef John’s Sopa de Ajo- a Spanish soup that was just an amazing pairing with this wine. Check out Chef John from foodwishes.com if you haven’t already and you cook a lot at home; I’ve been a fan for years.

Highly recommended wine, highly recommend recipe, and highly recommended pairing. Here’s to a happy Monday night! Now time to track down some Comando G 1er cru.

Eric Asimov; https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/dining/drinks/spanish-wine-comando-g.html
Chef John’s Sopa de Ajo; Food Wishes Video Recipes: Celebrating National Garlic Day with Sopa de Ajo - Spanish Bread and Garlic Soup
CT; Community Tasting Note - 2016 Comando G La Bruja de Rozas - CellarTracker

1 Like

It’s good stuff!

I recently had the 2018 which had a lot of the same characteristics you referenced. Really nice depth and complexity, and way over-delivered at $25. I was also taken aback by how well they handled the alcohol level - believe it was 14.5%+. Could definitely age longer but was drinking really nicely right now.

They’re beautiful and immensely satisfying wines.

Had the 2015 last week. Good wine, but the alcohol was a bit too noticeable and it was lacking some edge. But still an enjoyable glass of wine.

Overall there is a lot of focus on less jammy and candided versions of Grenache these days which I welcome!

How do the premier cru wine measure up to this entry level bottling? They are more than twice as much money, and seem to be much harder to track down. Worth it?

I had that “this is kind of like great Burgundy” experience last year with the 2014 Cayuse God Only Knows. It was stunning.

I recently posted on the 4 Monos grenache from same area as the Comando; it was terrific and cheap. May also be what you are looking for based on your post. Cheers.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3289955#p3289955

I agree with Lasse that the regular bottles can show a little heat and also lack a bit of tension. The Rozas 1er cru is lovely but need time. I’ve been meaning to try the top crus, but now they’re practically unsourceable and in the $400+ range when they are.

Also keep an eye out for Bernebeleva, which I think even more refined than Comando G 1er cru. Beware that these wines do shut down, so if you’re not drinking them fresh, you’ll probably want to hang on for at least a decade.

Love these wines as well. The 1er is a fantastic value.

Love the wines. If you are ever in Madrid, well worth visiting them and other wineries in the area. Very unique and nice guys! We were luck enough to barrel tasted that 2016 you mention. My notes are on CT.