Mission Impossible: unoaked California Cab?

Like title says. Seems like it’s impossible to find. Anyone know of one?

Adam, nobody is that crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Simply Naked?

I believe the Foxglove Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon is done completely in steel tanks.

1 Like

Why wood you?

3 Likes

Please see yourself out. neener

[bye.gif]

This might be close? https://www.pottwine.com/wines/detail?item=agnessorel2019

Cab Franc is Cab, is it not?

1 Like

I would check Ian Brand’s lineup. He’s crazy enough to try that. Sells some solid Cab on the cheap too.

Do you really mean unoaked or no new oak?

As to the latter, Stony Hill’s web site says: “The alcohol is kept under 14% and new oak is used only sparingly.” Cabernet Sauvignon - Stony Hill Vineyard I have not tasted any Cabernet Sauvignon from Stony Hill that is mature yet, but the ones that I have tasted young taste very different (and more pure) than do Cabs from most other California (and French) wineries.

My guess is that older Cabernets from Mayacamas (before it was purchased a few years ago) saw less new oak than in most California Cabs (at least they taste that way).

Excuse me sir, it’s the Father of Cabernet Sav.! [snort.gif]

My suggestion is to buy older California reds, where oak was used more judiciously during production and where time has softened even that.
The stuff is cheap, too.

Or, was.

Following. Have a friend who is allergic to oak. Can’t drink whiskey or most red wine. I’m always looking for a recommendation for him.

Perliss Cabernet Sauvignon Pearl of the Ravens, made by Aaron Pott, is aged 80% in amphora, 20% in oak.

I’d love to try some. FWIW, I know great Syrah can be made without oak, having had it from concrete eggs; didn’t miss the oak one bit. Cheers

That was my question, too.

Why is oak a bad thing for Cab? I think people here get too infatuated with it when oak is generally beneficial to wine.

Now, charring the bejesus out of a barrel and using all sorts of new oak lipstick is annoying, but I really don’t think I’d want to drink a stainless steel aged Cab

2 Likes

I have never had, nor heard of, a completely oak-free California Cab.

I did once have an unoaked Cab/Tannat blend from the Bearn AOC. It was fresh and medium-bodied and fun and totally fine for the $14 it cost. Can’t remember the producer unfortunately.

To be fair to California. Who can name a non-oaked Cabernet anywhere in the world?