Bordeaux, Champagne, and Chenin at Le Grenier

We had the pleasure of attending a dinner at Le Grenier in DC on H Street with folks from a wine tasting group we haven’t seen since before the pandemic. Thanks to Eric Tomasi for organizing. We had some pretty nice wines lined up.

1995 Duval Leroy Brut Millésimé – a very fine aged Champagne. I’m used to drinking Champagne much younger but I was immediately attracted to the oxidative notes this wine showed. Didn’t think I’d like that but the sherry notes were so well integrated with the orange rind fruit and acidity that it enhanced the wine rather than detracted. Many commented that there were chocolate expressions found on the front of the palate which is new to me! I might have to start looking for older Champagne at auction. One of my top wines.

2004 Union de Saint Gall Cuvée Orpale Blanc de Blancs – Never heard of this one but another interesting Champagne. Lively green apple fruit. Pretty strong acidity that would calm down with some age I’d think. This went quite well with food whereas the Duval I’d think you’d tend to drink solo. A lot of smokiness that everyone commented on with this wine – intriguing.

2001 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc – I can’t believe this was a 20 year old white wine It had so much youth, fruit and power. A very intense wine with a multitude of tropical flavors - you name them and it was there. I took what was left home (just a glass full) to try the next day and it still was fresh and delightful. I must seek out more of this wine.

2010 Guiberteau Chenin Clos de Guichaux - Another new name for me. It’s not often I have dry Loire Chenin (usually just Huet) but this was a surprise. Another excellent food wine showing honey and pineapple and lots of other complexities. The theme was to be Bordeaux, Champagne and Chenin because we couldn’t decide what we wanted to focus on after such a long hiatus from wine tasting. Need to seek this one out.

2014 Paul Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet Clos St Jean – oh yes, I love Chardonnay and this one showed beautifully. Very tropical with lots of citrus and vanilla. It shows oak but with a light hand as compared to some Cal Chards I drink. And not as flinty as Chablis.

1993 Haut Brion - This wine developed gradually over the course of the evening to display wonderful notes of cedar and complexity so expected from this estate. I did note some green pepper upon first taste that blew away quick enough – I didn’t mind it, was kind of nice. Leather, and tobacco all there as you’d expect from a Graves with red berries coming through. There is a lot going on with this wine and it is drinking beautifully right now. I have an ’89 in my cellar I’m tempted to open soon on the right occasion. This was WOTN for many.

2003 Pontet Canet – What a bruiser. A very big wine. Kind of reminds you of a California wine! Lots of red fruit here with a hefty core to it. This has time on its hands and would be well liked by many. Not a food wine in my opinion.

1989 La Conseillante – This was one of the wines I brought and I opened it earlier during the day and double decanted it. When I sipped it at home upon first opening, it was OK but at the restaurant it soared. I think decanting ahead of time helps many wines and we should do it more often! Very exotic wine compared to the other red Bordeaux we had that night. Dark stone fruit showed in abundance with layers of other flavors coming through at various times in the evening. A softer feel on the mouth even though there was plenty of acid to balance all that amazing fruit.

1996 Leoville Poyferre – my least favorite wine of the night. Nothing wrong with it, maybe a bit astringent but it didn’t pop like the others for me. It did have a bit of stinky nose with wood floor notes. I usually love this producer so maybe up against the others it didn’t show as well for me. Many others loved it that night.

1986 Rausan Segla – This was my WOTN although by a slim lead since so many of the wines were wonderful. It just had everything going for it. I cannot believe this wine is that old and tasting like this – surely someone replaced the wine with a fresh young Bordeaux! Very Margaux. Lots of floral notes with the berries and deep, deep fruit. ’86 was a favorite of mine when I was young. I only have the Meyney left, I should have held on to more. Just beautiful. Thanks Joel!

1997 Huet Vouvray Moelleux Clos du Bourg – I love Huet’s sweet wines. But by this time by palate was getting tired. I do think as did others that this might have been more appropriate for a Thai dinner. The sweetness wasn’t as sweet as the Sauternes but could easily complement a spicier dinner. Quite nice and treat to have an older Huet.

1989 and 2007 Suduiraut – We had these in 375. Amazing that the color of the wines as well as the flavor were so similar. Apricots always come thru on their wine. One of the Chateau we visited when I was very young and had the ’82 out of the barrel pulled from a pipette. Fond memory causing me to love this Chateau.

I’m all ready to attend more tastings like this again. It was a pleasure. So hard to take good notes when so many wines to try!

1 Like

Cool wines that were nicely put together.

Enjoyed reading the notes.

1 Like