white Pinot Nero

I am no wine expert but I love sampling the unique wines available here in Italy

this wine I purchased in the far north of Verbania Province is called Frecciarossa Sillery Oltrepo Pavese Pinot Nero 2018 and from the Lombardy region

it has a slight effervescence, a dry apple taste and nice floral nose to it

and I believe it is a bargain at EUR 14

I hear it pairs well with jumbo shrimp.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! [cheers.gif]

A few thoughts:

· Surely “Sillery” would be a protected place-name?

“Champagne village profile: Sillery, a Grand Cru Village in the Grande Montage de Reims”

Vine and Bubble, Issue #4
“Coteaux Champenois”

One dictionary website explicitly states that Sillery is not protected; neither does the village appear on any list of French appellation controlèes.

In the 19th Century, Sillery’s reputation was enforced by a collection of Champagne houses, not the government:

Maisons Champagne
“Defending the Appellation”

1882: The Champagne Houses form the Syndicat du Commerce des Vins de Champagne (which would become the UMC).
1885: The Syndicat brings charges against a Saumur wine merchant for misusing the names of Aÿ, Sillery and Champagne.”

· The first time I encountered the word Sillery was in one of Patrick O’Brian’s excellent works of historical fiction.

“‘The bubbly stuff is all very well,’ said Jack, looking at the light through his glass, ‘but for flavor, for bouquet and for quality give me a good sillery every time.’”

• page 88, The Thirteen Gun Salute by Patrick O’Brian

Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It’s a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels by Anne Chotzinoff Grossman, Lisa Grossman Thomas - entries for “Sillery

[u]A Sea of Words[/u] by Dean King - entry for “Sillery

Cavallotto, the Barolo producer, makes a white pinot called “Pinner,” which is Piemontese dialect for pinot noir. It’s quite good – lots of both body and acidity, with a lot of flavor.

So is it a rose made from Pinot Nero? I believe there is also a mutated clone that is called ‘White Pinot Nero.’

I’ve had bottles of Henri Gouges white wine made from some mutation in their vineyard of pinot noir. Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru La Perrière Blanc. It’s decent and interesting, though I held some bottles for several years and they oxidized pretty quickly.

Is this roughly the same thing as in the OP?

Though of course, it’s Burgundy, so this wine is $90+ not $20.

I assumed the OP was talking about a white wine made from red grapes. The mutant Gouges vines yield white grapes.

1 Like

It’s an interesting question. CT lists the OP’s wine as a white wine, and it looks like a white wine.

I would normally think of a non-skin wine made from red grapes to be a rose, not a white wine, but I have no idea in this case. Anyone know?

I’m sure the OP’s wine is a white from red pinot noir grapes.

If you press the juice off the skins quickly, it won’t pick up color. Think of all the Champagne made with pinot noir and pinot meunier. Most are white unless the grapes are left on the skins a while to make a rose. Likewise, lots of white zinfandel was pretty white.

1 Like

Why? Do you consider all but Blanc de Blancs Champagnes to be rosé Champagnes?

I’ve had lots of Blanc de Noirs white wines from all around the world that have nothing to do with rosé. For some reason Blanc de Tempranillo seems to be a thing in Spain.

And when it comes to white mutations of Pinot Noir, Pinot Blanc is much more common than Pinot Gouges. And virtually the same thing.

1 Like

I’ve had this wine - IMO, it’s not particularly interesting aside from the novelty.

95% of the blanc de noirs whites outside Champagne described right here.

Haven’t had much outside of coteaux champenois but a big fan of the BdN “whites” from champagne. Cool stuff.