Ploughman's lunch and SoRho

On a hot day, a cold lunch of sliced beef, brie, Camembert, cornichons, mustard, horseradish with pumpernickel, cream crackers, and fig/olive crisps paired with a couple of Southern Rhones. We went for a bike ride and polished off a spritzy/prickly Ameztol Rubentis while getting the fixings together for this.

2001 Vieux Donjon [Chateauneuf du Pape] A lovely example that is still singing, held since release, no decanting just popped and poured. Baking spices along with a garnet bricking robe. Just a great VD, which gets an A in my ledger.

2010 Brunely ‘Tour Aux Calles’ [Vacqueyras] This producer makes a number of bottlings from this AOC and this is their top end one. It used to be grenache and mourvedre in the past but is now more of a typical GSM type blend, albeit with a big slug of the latter furry varietal. I had a bottle of the base 2007 Vacqueyras* a couple years ago (also after a ride, and with a cold platter) and thought it was fading at age ten. This 2010 Brunely is still ok, but I think it’s better consumed sooner than later. It is not developing the complexity that the CNDP showed, but its still a fairly rich/dense wine, with lots of Rhone character. Maybe it was just in comparison to the VD, but I didn’t like this as much as I thought I would. I’ll slot it into the B+ zone. Lots of sediment, and still had its $19 tag from purchase years ago.

1 Like

That looks fantastic. I opened my first (of 3) 2001 Vieux Donjon last summer and absolutely flipped over it:

2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (7/27/2020)
OMG (not that I am really very surprised), this is aging gracefully and beautifully, a truly stunning mid-maturity Châteauneuf-du-Pape from a perfect vintage. Really, I can’t ask for much more in a wine than this.

Quite light and transparent in appearance, this is shockingly delicate and precise, yet quite savory with mineral and blood, then moving gracefully to grilled plum and sour cherry with loads of dried herbs and garrigue notes. It has that perfect combination of savory, sweet and spicy with absolutely no heaviness. There is still a faintly grippy, peppery, toothsome element on the finish that suggests this still has many years ahead.

I waffled on 92, 94, 95 and then finally 96 points. This is an utter stunner if CDP is your thing. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I need to open another soon. Regardless of my note from a year ago, this was signing so well why risk letting it get past maturity?