winemaker for Carter cellars

Does anyone know who Carter Cellars hired as the winemaker?

I think I missed some news here. Isn’t/wasn’t that a Mike Smith wine?

I’d love to know more details, but from chatter on Cellar Tracker it has moved from Mike Smith to Russell Bevan. Both fantastic, IMHO. Would be curious to know the reason for the change, but it does happen from time to time. I went big on 2019 Carter, and really need to hold off on the 2018s, as they are still coming together. The Fortuna has been really good already though. Burned by the O.G., and will have to keep my hands off of the rest.

I’ve heard it is now Russell Bevan as well. I’ll be stopping by Carter Cellars for a visit in a few weeks, and look forward to trying the new wines.

1 Like

I’d be curious if Mike made the wines, or Russell for the 2019, and 2020. Or if there was a switchover mid-stream, so to speak. I’m sure the quality will be maintained, maybe slight changes to style, but I’m sure I’ll still be buying!

I’d also love to know your thoughts on the Carter tasting, and how the wines showed. I am not going to get a chance to taste any 2019s unfortunately, so would appreciate it!

Russell Bevan starting in 2021, confirmed by Russell Bevan himself.

1 Like

Mike made the ‘19s and any ‘20s. He’s moved all his other winemaking off premises.
Ancillary Cellars is no longer a brand.

1 Like

Thanks for the scoop, Brian. Are you able to say where Mike is making his wines now?

I’d be curious to know more about this story as well, if it can ever be told. Big fan of both Mike and Russell. I’ll miss Mike Smith Carters but excited to try Russell Bevan Carters.

He moved some production to Tamber Bey more to a location further down valley.

I’m not at liberty to say. You can hear it from Mike if he decides to share.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, wishing Russell, Mark, and Mike all the best with the next steps. I’ll still be buying from all of them.

If Mike is not making Carter, is he taking on something else in place of that or is the schedule so full that cutting back would be the idea?

Check out his IG, he’s planting his own vineyard…

He has plenty to keep him busy and suitors lining up. No worries.