TN: 2017 Luigi Oddero Barolo

This is immediately inviting, rose petals, berries and some herbal elements. The wine is mid-weight with a refined palate, fresh and with good length. Initially it’s really quite approachable but with air it firms up on the back end and you can feel the sinew lurking. Very nice.

2 Likes

Really good wine Kent.

The single-vineyard wines are ravishing but, indeed, as you describe, Kent, the normale is so good that one can be fully content right there. I haven’t had the 2017, but the 2016 is an absolute bomb for $50 (here). This is an estate where they take a lot of pride in their normale and it shows. The fruit sources are superb.

Thanks Kent, haven’t tried the 17 yet but like Martin loved the 16. Not in a rush to buy the 17’s but will be picking this one up.

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes they are impressive and I have some of the 16s also. I did go rather long on 16s across the board, but always keen to check out the latest vintage. Managed to snare some 04 and 10 Rocche Ravera at the same time which I am greatly looking forward to trying.

Pretty handy winemaking team of Francesco Versio and Dante Scaglione.

Picked one of these up the other day and it was really delicious with some steaks