TN: 2013 Saxum James Berry Vineyard

• 2013 Saxum James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles Willow Creek District (7/31/2021)
    An exceptional, outstanding wine. Double decanted at Bobby Van’s 54th Street and then waited about 30 minutes before tasting (Krug NV from 375 is not bad in the interim) because prior notes indicated that it needed air but I did not have time before leasing home. Smooth and velvety mouth feel with a red fruit and berry melange and light pepper spice. My guess is that this has at least 7 years before it starts to show any tertiary flavors of age at all, but that’s a guess and mostly irrelevant because it will just morph the flavors. Will it be better? Hard to say. Probably a bit more pepper as the fruit calms down, but whether that is better is a matter of personal preference. Not a wine for people who like Chenin from the Loire, but that’s OK. More for me. How will they feel about it in 12 years, when it is 20 years out? I have no idea.

PS - If you go to Bobby Van’s on 54th, this is the bottle on the shelf in on the wall on the right side in the back in the grouping with the Aubert, the Bionic Frog and the 2006 Colgin. Nice label. I like to keep my contributions together, although they tossed the bottle from my 1998 Araujo and 1975 Latour. :frowning: (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

I can never keep my hands off of them. 13 is the oldest JBV in my cellar. I have read that the 13 and 14 approach the greatness of 07, but that is still the high-water mark

The 2008s are in the greatness ballpark but I have been saving my 2007s. I think I will open my magnum in 2007 for my next round number birthday.

Thanks for the note Jay. I have one of these but have been holding off until at least the ten year mark.

Not a bad strategy. I opened a 2018 Bone Rock yesterday and it was way too early.

Planning to open an '07 Booker tonight. High expectations!

Opened a 2013 Saxum Rocket Block last weekend alongside some other wines that were opened too early (2014 Dalla Valle Maya, 2017 Scarecrow), and some other fantastic wines (2015 ultramarine, 1997 d’yquem), but the Saxum was unanimous wine of the night.

Took the same bottle to The Winds Cafe in Yellow Springs last night. Excellent. Sorry that the current Rocket Block costs 50% more than the 13.

• 2007 Saxum Syrah Booker Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (8/4/2021)
    15.5% abv. Dark ruby, extremely aromatic. 95% Syrah, 5% Grenache. Ripe plum, leather, white and black pepper, meat and black olive. Exceptional depth, length and intensity. This 14-year old Saxum is singing. No hurry to drink, but why wait? (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

If CT is correct, I have four of these and friends visiting on the 14th who will be eating grilled red meat and home cured bacon smoked on the BGE. This looks like a good choice for the Saxum course.