Any 2020 New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc Sightings?

Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc wines used to play a prominent role in our wine playlist, but gradually, over several years, have been replaced by other wines. The exuberance of those wines was something that attracted us initially, but was not sustainable for us. We now drink a bottle only rarely. The year 2020 has been touted as an extraordinary vintage for these wines and some glowing comments here on WB by Martin Zwick about the 2020 Cloudy Bay caught my attention. Here are a few observations about a wine that we opened tonight. Feel free to use this thread to post about your own ‘sightings’ of 2020 New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

2020 Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc
I am a bit scent-challenged, but the aroma of lemon/lime and freshly mown lawn scored a direct hit. The first taste showed dry, laser focused fruit of mostly lemon and lime but also an almost tropical/exotic note along a steely/mineral skeleton. The overall first taste impression was of balance and some restraint on the fruit, especially compared to some “cup runneth over” with fruit examples of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. We enjoyed this wine a lot. As we drank it with a cheese plate, I noted it was a great pairing to a selection of fresh goat cheeses. I also imagined some resemblance to dry Riesling and to a young Hunter Valley Semillon. Recommended. (~$15)

1 Like

With the drought in MN this summer I don’t get to enjoy that freshly mown lawn smell! I do enjoy it and Whitehaven is always a solid.