TN: 2019 Emrich-Schönleber Monzinger Halgans Riesling Trocken (Germany, Nahe)

German Riesling was my first love in wine but lately I’ve been ignoring it for the most part. This wine - my first ever from Emrich-Schönleber - is a great reminder that I should know better. Even though markedly cheaper than the GGs it is clearly a serious wine with upside but it is also seriously tasty and drinkable.

• 2019 Emrich-Schönleber Monzinger Halgans Riesling Trocken - Germany, Nahe (30.7.2021)
    Super chalky on the nose with notes of apple, peach and spice. Very expressive with a very nice nostril-stinging sensation. On the palate positively dry with lovely concentration and a chiselled mouthfeel. Beautifully structured with great energy. Slightly nervous but not tight in any way that would take away from the enjoyment. Possesses a superb savory mix of chalk and fruit. Not weighty at all and the 12.5% ABV is perfectly in check. Mouthwatering on the finish.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Ilkka,

I can’t resist posting my note for the cousin to this wine, the 2019 Monzinger Fruhtau Riesling trocken, tasted back in April:

Emrich Schoenleber 2019 Monzinger Fruhtau Riesling trocken: Not a super expressive nose, with lemon peel, stones and a whiff of petrol. Palate has remarkable chew, almost gras with loads of mineral character, just the faintest hint of sweetness manifested by ripe yellow fruit. Acidity is medium+, and there is a long grapefruit and lemon pith driven finish. Quite serious stuff
On day 2, this has both softened up on palate to better express ripe orchard fruit and seemingly gained in acidity.

I feel I can see the familial linkage between these wines, the Fruhtau really was built around structure and texture. With hindsight a decant might have been a good idea. Will try and remember next time!

By all means! Sounds like a very similar experience indeed. Halgans did not have petrol really but it had the kind of qualities on the nose that indicate a likely petrol development in the not so distant future. I popped and poured and don’t really have any regrets, although it could have benefited to some extent.