TN: Cristal, PYCM, Rousseau, Canon

2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (7/27/2021)
Andrew’s Birthday 2021: Pop and pour and follow over an hour. Strong yeasty notes immediately upon pouring. Mellows over time to reveal warm brioche and citrus zest. Expressive palate, lemon curd and bright acidity. This bottle was stunning and among the best bubbles I’ve ever had. (96 pts.)

2018 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly Cuvée Nicholas et Mathis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (7/27/2021)
Andrew’s Birthday 2021: Pop and pour. Once the moderate sulfer blows off, the nose shows Jasmine flowers and slate with a touch of citrus zest. Body is full and lush, coating the palate with orchard fruits, underripe nectarine, Limestone. Bright and balanced acidity, the finish lingers and brings you back for more. (93 pts.)

2013 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru (7/27/2021)
Andrew’s Birthday 2021: Decant off the minimal sediment. Nose jumps out of the glass with deep red fruit and spice. Velvety palate, well balanced with a tight finish. Needs more time to mellow and integrate. (93 pts.)

1982 Château Canon - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (7/27/2021)
Andrew’s Birthday 2021: Decanted 4 hours. Great fill and cork. Immediately showing a full bouquet of dried fruits and hoisin. Good fruit on the palate but a bit muted and slightly astringent finish. Not as fresh as previous bottles. Maybe decanted too long. (92 pts.)

3 Likes

Thanks for the notes, and happy birthday - assuming you were the Andrew in question! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Nice notes Andrew! I hope our paths cross soon. Happy Birthday.

Same here Don! Thanks for the well wishes. Only 3 of us so we couldn’t do more damage than 4 bottles. :wink:

Oooooh, Happy Belated Birthday, my friend!

You know, I am so glad these beautiful 2008’s are re-opening in all their glory already after a little snooze. Between this and the Dom, it’s been a great summer for these superstars.