TN: 2018 von Winning Deidesheimer Paradiesgarten Riesling trocken (Germany, Pfalz)

• 2018 von Winning Deidesheimer Paradiesgarten Riesling trocken - Germany, Pfalz (7/29/2021)
    Thought this was excellent. Petrol notes are in check and just barely there, which is nice for a change. There’s an elegance here that I would not associate with a Riesling in this price category and this could have passed for a $50 wine, rather. Great mouthfeel and long ending. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Surprised to see you enjoying a riesling with some not insignificant RS [snort.gif], the von Winning Paradisgarten usually has around 7g/L of RS

Von Winning seems to be on a roll lately.

A few years ago, in our market, we managed to get their Trocken II Sauvignon Blanc, and it was outstanding - glacially intense with no residual sugar whatsoever.

Surprisingly even the SB usually has a bit of RS. Here’s the tech sheet for 2020, which is in line for most vintages (couldn’t find an older one).

The combination of oak (not in the case of SB II as it’s all stainless) and acid usually makes von Winnings feel structured but not sweet. Though some can definitely be overwhelmed by oak, but I think they are really starting to hone in on how to manage the oak influence in their wines.

Well that could certainly explain why I liked it so much.

I’ve kind of given up on the Germans! They’re all in this vein sugar-wise. You can feel a bit of sweetness, but it’s not extreme. In my own classification system this is dry, but not bone-dry. I’m surprised it’s 7g/L, felt more like 4-5g/L if I’d had to guess.

So you’ve given up your one-man resistance army and started to think like the rest of us - just like we recommended for you to do right from the start? :smiley:

No, I just realize that New World will own the dry Riesling market when the masses arise. The Germans will be too busy trying to outprice Burgundy for their ever-diminishing sweet wine market share. [wink.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

Those three people are really going to move the market! [stirthepothal.gif]

2 Likes

It’ll be four once you finally taste one of my Rieslings, David! [wink.gif]

One of my favorite standby wines. Love it!

I’ve only been drinking the 15 and 16 so it’s good to hear more about the younger vintages.

1 Like

Otto, please be nice, unless you are willing to face this…
IMG_5352.jpg

Good old Salmari. Why do you think I would have any problems with it? neener

That sure looks very old, though. The label looks very ancient and the stuff is supposed to be pitch-black and opaque, that looks brown and somewhat translucent. I’m not sure if I’d drink from that particular bottle anymore. :smiley:

It’s probably a 15 year old bottle, has been well preserved inside the freezer since day one. I don’t recall the color being any different in the past but it’s been a long time since the last time I’ve tried it. My Danish neighbor gets a sip every now and then and he is still alive and in good health, so I think that it should be in a good condition [wink.gif]

I can drink that stuff forever. But you got to be Nordic to enjoy it. Salty liqorice is a waste on Americans. The black gold gets spat out whenever they try.

Adam, you ever tried Hiedler Gaisberg (Austria)?

Similar-ish ballpark to this Von Winning, but with less or no petrol. Almost a chardonnay deepfake.

1 Like

I suppose you don’t see the difference when you follow the same bottle over the years, but to someone who has been selling the stuff for years, that looks oddly brown. :smiley:

My Danish neighbor gets a sip every now and then and he is still alive and in good health, so I think that it should be in a good condition > [wink.gif]

Yeah, I suppose liqueurs don’t get bad. It’s always possible that it isn’t in the best of conditions but it’s still drinkable.

I don’t, I’m really not a liqueur person. Too sweet for me. However, I guess I could drink ir forever if they made a dry version of it. No problems with the salty liquorice component - love the stuff. :smiley:

But you got to be Nordic to enjoy it. Salty liqorice is a waste on Americans.

Very true.

One thing is to offer this booze to Japanese, as they a) virtually all seem to hate it, b) they are so polite they can’t say they don’t like the stuff so they are happily smiling saying it’s very good and nodding while tears well up in their eyes and they try to keep from swallowing it.

I don’t like the liquor, too sweet for me, but I can’t get enough of the Gajol hard candies. There is one brand that comes in animal shapes, the frog is my favorite.

1 Like

I’ll try it!

I wish my name were Von Winning. Christopher Von Winning. I really like the sound of that.

1 Like