Recent tasting notes: Taittinger, Billecart, Walter Scott

• 2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart - France, Champagne (7/29/2021)
    Ah, this was good. White orchard fruit, mainly baked apples and pears, pastry, a hint of almond paste. Rich and structured, broad-shouldered, vibrant and creamy, all carrying through to a long finish. I’m surprised so many of the “pro” notes noted a certain tightness. This didn’t feel tight at all, although with air it softened a bit. Really good. I’m glad I bought some more.
  • 2018 Walter Scott Chardonnay X-Novo Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (7/29/2021)
    Complex flavors of tart green apple, Anjou pear and lemon curd mixed with a reductive/sulfur note (call it matchstick, call it gunflint), a little smoke, with the oak lending a sweet note on the finish. Concentrated without seeming rich, a firm body and good acid backbone. There’s a lot going on with this wine. As good as it is now, I wonder if it will settle into something more harmonious with time.
  • 2015 Schäfer-Fröhlich Felseneck Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Nahe (7/28/2021)
    Screwcap top. On opening, a strong whiff of mercaptan (rotten eggs). Unfortunately, the odor didn’t blow off and lingered with each glass, and I just couldn’t get past it. Somewhere past the rotten eggs, I could get peach and tropical fruits. Decent acidity and not as overly sweet as some other Shafer-Frohlich I’ve had. A pity about the rotten eggs. Nasty.
  • 2002 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (7/25/2021)
    Disgorged June 2012. White citrus fruit and brioche, with a slightly sweet finish. Richer than the 2006, but still lacey, with a creamy texture. A very fine mousse, with fine bubbles that essentially dissipated quickly. All the elements – flavors, body, acid – were in lovely harmony. The paucity of bubbles was a bit unexpected and may have been a sign of advanced age or possibly just that the cork seal wasn’t tight. Delicious and loads of relaxed fun.
  • 1996 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Cannubi Boschis - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (7/24/2021)
    I decanted it for three hours in a decanter and double-decanted to take it to a restaurant, losing about a pour to the sediment. Even then, it tasted musty, with notions of slightly sour dried cherries and rose. With just a little more air, it sweetened and fleshed out, becoming more pleasant. The tannins were generally resolved. While correct to the variety, this was good rather than great.

Posted from CellarTracker

The Taittinger was the highlight of this week. It had a kind of elegant harmony that was all the more awesome for seeming effortless. Both the Billecart-Salmon and Walter Scott were very good. The Schafer-Frohlich was obviously flawed and kind of a bummer. The Sandrone was good, sorta, but didn’t live up to its billing. Actually, other than a couple of Giacosa I’ve had, no Barolo has really tripped my trigger. (The Giacosas were fabulous.) I haven’t figured out if I’m unlucky or just don’t like them.

1 Like