TN: 1971 Castell'in Villa CCR

One of the reasons why we do this stuff. My better half is making pasta tonight with sausage & meatballs, so I wandered down to the cellar at lunch time to see what I could find [wow.gif]

I have had this wine several times in the past, but I didn’t “do the math” until I had already pulled the cork to realize this was 50 years old. The nose is Autumnal, but there is still adequate acidity & fruit on the palate. While I won’t argue if someone was to taste this and conclude that it would have been better 5 or 10 years ago, the fact that it’s still alive and interesting today is testament once again to the aging capability of the Sangiovese grape in the hands of a skillful producer. Here’s to a Happy Wednesday [cheers.gif] .

3 Likes

d

wow. I pulled a 2010 CC from the stacks, but I kind of feel I should have this with a wine enthusiast rather than in casual consumption.

Thanks for sharing your fine note Bob. Hope all is well with you. That’s pretty cool Wednesday night wine.

I look forward to watching more recent vintages evolve (hopefully on a similar trajectory). Well, that and living to be nearly 100 to get adequate follow up. Thanks again.

Best,

Todd

Thanks Bob, So I need to wait until I am 99 until I crack my 2016s? Need to make some lifestyle changes them if i am to enjoy them!

Thanks for the report, Bob!

Of course, in 1971, this might have had a good proportion of malvasia and/or trebbiano!