TN: 2017 Pierre Boisson Monthélie (France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Monthélie)

Well hello! I was yet to have a red from the Boisson family so did not know what to expect but was very much hoping to find something even distantly similar to the 2010 Coche-Dury Bourgogne Rouge I had in Pommard a few years ago given how the producers are based in the same village and good friends. In the end I don’t know how much similarity there is but regardless this is a really superb drink, pretty much the perfect midweek Burgundy during the summer season.

The retailer I bought this from had also the 2018 vintage and the price difference between the two was staggering - the 2018 was a cool 63% more expensive. Without knowing what that vintage is like the increase takes this wine from a great QPR to fully priced, which is a shame. I find the style here to be absolutely charming - it is not natty per se but it has the sort of joie de vivre natural wines can have at their best. Wow, color me impressed.

• 2017 Pierre Boisson Monthélie - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Monthélie (28.7.2021)
    Popped and poured at cellar temp and kept somewhat chilled. Most attractive on the nose with a delicious mix of fresh dark fruits, floral tones and a hint of leather. In a sense primary and fruit forward but without any negative connotation. So bright and unadulterated. On the palate has nice volume without any weight really and just the liveliest, crunchiest fruit. Excellent acidity provides terrific lift and makes it immensely drinkable and pleasurable. There is not much in the way of tannic grip but yet there is absolutely no evident lack of structure. The fruit ripeness is very much on point and by all means the wine is super approachable right now. There seems to be the slightest fizz but it doesn’t bother me at all. Everything here speaks of a very light winemaker’s touch as no oak can be detected and there are no harsh edges. Finishes very clean and crisp with a lip-smacking sensation.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like