California’s great old vine Zinfandel vineyards

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

California’s great old vine Zinfandel vineyards

#1 Post by M. Dildine »

Nothing in the wine world fascinates me like California’s heritage vineyards. These vineyards have it all – history, romance and most of all, they are the source for distinctively intense and delicious wines. Perhaps my favorite wines.

These historic vineyards are uniquely Californian and should be preserved and protected. My gratitude to the farmers and ranchers who have maintained these treasures and to the producers such as Paul Draper, Mike Officer, Larry Turley, Joel Peterson and Morgan Twain-Peterson who continue to make this preservation commercially possible.

I’ve put a list of 60 or so vineyards together below. Quite a diverse list. These wines are not all Zinfandel by any means. Two Acres is mainly Mourvedre. Bedrock Vineyard is less than half Zinfandel. Most of the Vineyards have a good dose of Petite plus other “mixed blacks” including alicante bouschet, carignane and “whatever.”

I have my favorites – the bright and elegant wines from Scherrer Vineyard, the lush Carlisle Vineyard wines, the powerful Hayne and the intense Ueberroth. It’s interesting none of my favorites are from the same Appellation (they’re from Alexander Valley, RRV, Napa and Paso, respectively).

What are your favorites? What am I missing from the list below?

Alegria Vineyards, RRV, 1890
Bacchi Ranch, RRV, 1914
Bacigalupi, RRV, 1920
Barracia, Sonoma Valley 1892
Bedrock, Sonoma Valley, 1888
Belloni, RRV, 1920
Big River, Alexander, 1893
Buchignani Ranch, Alexander, 1955
Caboose, Alexander, 1899
Carlisle, RRV, 1927
Dickerson, Napa, 1930
Dina's, RRV, 1910
Dolinsek Ranch, RRV, 1910
Duarte, Contra Costa, 1899
Dusi Ranch, Paso, 1923
Fanucchi-Wood, RRV, 1910
Fava Ranch, RRV, 1922
Forchini, RRV, 1910
Geyserville, Alexander, 1880
Giuseppe and Luisa, RRV, 1899
Gold Mine Ranch, Dry Creek, 1914
Hale's, Dry Creek, 1955
Hayne, Napa Howell, 1903
Highwire, RRV, 1913
Jackass Hill, RRV, 1899
Jackass, RRV, 1899
Jimsomere, SCM, 1900
Jolene's, RRV, 1905
Limerick Lane, Sonoma, 1911
Lorenzo's, Dry Creek, 1909
Lytton Springs, Dry Creek, 1900
Mazzoni Ranch, Alexander, 1910
Montafi Ranch (Tom Feeney), RRV, 1926
Monte Rosa, Sonoma, 1890
Monte Rosso, Sonoma Valley, 1886
Mounts Ranch, Dry Creek, 1952
Nervo, Alexander, 1899
Old Hill Ranch, Sonoma Valley, 1880
Pagani Ranch, Sonoma Valley, 1910
Papera Ranch (Carlo's), RRV, 1934
Pedroncelli, Dry Creek, 1927
Pesenti, Paso, 1923
Pietro's Ranch, RRV, 1905
Ponzo, RRV, 1952
Puccioni, Sonoma, 1904
Rossi Ranch, Sonoma Valley, 1910
Scherrer, Alexander, 1912
Seghesio, Sonoma, 1902
Shaw, Sonoma, 1882
Stellwagen, Sonoma Valley, 1899
Teldeschi Ranch, Dry Creek, 1913
Tofanelli, Napa, 1929
Two Acres, RRV, 1910
Ueberroth, Paso, 1899
Vigneto di Evo, RRV, 1898
Winberri, RRV, 1905
York Creek, Napa, 1935
Last edited by M. Dildine on February 22nd, 2010, 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

Mike

davetong

Re: California’s great old vine Zinfandel vineyards

#2 Post by davetong »

Savannah-Chanelle (FKA Congress Springs) - SCM. Pre-Prohibition, not sure of the exact date offhand.
Lion Oaks - SCV. Believed to be pre-1900
I'm back. Did you miss me?
http://scmwine.info

Wes Barton

#3 Post by Wes Barton »

davetong wrote:Savannah-Chanelle (FKA Congress Springs) - SCM. Pre-Prohibition, not sure of the exact date offhand.

Don't know the name, but the Zin vineyard in Woodside that Woodside Vineyards uses is over 100 year old vines.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by M. Dildine »

Wes Barton wrote:
davetong wrote:Savannah-Chanelle (FKA Congress Springs) - SCM. Pre-Prohibition, not sure of the exact date offhand.

Don't know the name, but the Zin vineyard in Woodside that Woodside Vineyards uses is over 100 year old vines.
Wes - that is a Cab vineyard right? How is the wine?
Cheers,

Mike

Hank Beckmeyer

#5 Post by Hank Beckmeyer »

Lubenko (1910 or so) and Grandpere (early 1900 last I heard, though they were claiming late 1800's). Both in Amador
Hank Beckmeyer
La Clarine Farm

Ken Zinns
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Ken Zinns »

More in Amador - Eschen-Rinaldi, Esola, and Massoni among them, all probably planted in the early 1900s. There are more in Amador and Calaveras as well. Also the Jessie's Grove "Royal-Tee" vineyard in Lodi, which may date to the late 1800's. The Mohr-Fry Vineyard in Lodi is supposed to date from about 80 years ago, and there are certainly more old-vine Zin vineyards in the Lodi area too.

Royal-Tee Vineyard, Lodi
ITB, Harrington Wines & Eno Wines, and Grape-Nutz.com

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Cris Whetstone »

Paging Mike Officer!
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Tegan Passalacqua

#8 Post by Tegan Passalacqua »

Hayne is in St. Helena. Don't forget Moore 1906 in Napa proper.
Tegan Passalacqua
Turley Wine Cellars/ Sandlands Vineyards

davetong

#9 Post by davetong »

M. Dildine wrote:
Wes Barton wrote:

The Cab vineyard you're thinking of is La Questa. Less than an acre of really old vines; there's maybe two barrels in a good year. They only produce a La Questa in the best vintages; when they do it's intense and tannic, needs at least 10 years. I had a 97 back in 2005 and it was way too young.

Woodside Zinfandel is very good stuff too.
I'm back. Did you miss me?
http://scmwine.info

Ray Walker

#10 Post by Ray Walker »

I would love to visit a lot of these before I leave. Anyone up for a few tours?
ITB
Maison ILAN

Tegan Passalacqua

#11 Post by Tegan Passalacqua »

Ray:
pm me.
Tegan Passalacqua

Berry Crawford

#12 Post by Berry Crawford »

Very cool thread.

Old vine zin was one of first wine loves. One which I havnt given much attention to the last few years.

Berry Crawford

#13 Post by Berry Crawford »

Ray Walker wrote:I would love to visit a lot of these before I leave. Anyone up for a few tours?
I am.

You owe me a call BTW.

ChrisBeacham

#14 Post by ChrisBeacham »

Ray Walker wrote:I would love to visit a lot of these before I leave. Anyone up for a few tours?
No need to tour just buy a bottle of this:
I got an email about the new Orin Swift 2008 Saldo ZInfandel. Here's what the OS website says:

Quote:
In the bottle, there are grapes from Sonoma, Napa, Amador, Mendocino, and Contra Costa counties. Some of these great vineyards include Monte Rosso, Eagle Point, Rockpile, Bismark, Beatty, Page Nord, Duarte, Solari, Evangehlo, Battuelo's, Tofanelli, Korte, Mable Tiedemann, Frediani, Lewers, Alta Vista, and Bald Mountain just to name a few.
[swearing.gif]
Now living in the cozy confines of Park Slope, Brooklyn

Wes Barton

#15 Post by Wes Barton »

M. Dildine wrote:
Wes Barton wrote:

The Zin Vineyard is in a warm pocket with sandy soil. Ah, planted in 1897, yielding one to per acre. They make both a dry Zin and a Zin Port from it. The flavor profile is unique for a Zin, from my experience. Very round, with lots of boysenberry. It's really the purity that's different.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Original Grandpere Vineyard reportedly planted in The Shenandoah Valley ~ 1859. A vineyard of much storied litigation in recent times.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Uhhhhh....

#17 Post by TomHill »

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Original Grandpere Vineyard reportedly planted in The Shenandoah Valley ~ 1859. A vineyard of much storied litigation in recent times.
Glen,
There's some question as to the authenticity of that 1859 date. I understand the '20-'30's iis a more accurate estimate. KenZinns has details.
Tom

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

And....

#18 Post by TomHill »

Good thread, Mike. Officer Mike has been paged to give us the inside skinny.

Mendocino: Tollini, Recetti, Ciapusci, DuPratt.

There's one down in Cucamonga that CarolShelton takes grapes from.

Tom

Tony V e l e b i l

#19 Post by Tony V e l e b i l »

davetong wrote:
M. Dildine wrote:
Wes Barton wrote: 1910

The Cab vineyard you're thinking of is La Questa. Less than an acre of really old vines; there's maybe two barrels in a good year. They only produce a La Questa in the best vintages; when they do it's intense and tannic, needs at least 10 years. I had a 97 back in 2005 and it was way too young.

Woodside Zinfandel is very good stuff too.
Pre phlloxyera (spelling") Margaux vines IIRC...
“Remember,” said John Adams, “democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

Ken Zinns
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: And....

#20 Post by Ken Zinns »

TomHill wrote:Mendocino: Tollini, Recetti, Ciapusci, DuPratt.
Good call on those old Mendocino Ridge Zin vineyards, Tom - I'd forgotten about those. Zeni (planted in the 1910s) and Perli (original plantings are 19th century but may have been replanted since then, don't know) are a couple of others. I'd actually spotted this interesting article about Mendo Ridge Zin some time ago:
http://westernfarmpress.com/mag/farming ... zinfandel/
It mentions that as many as 400 acres may have been planted there before Prohibition. Don't know how many of those old plantings survived though.

Back in Lodi, a couple more specific old-vine Zin vineyards are mentioned here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 19D0SL.DTL
The article mentions Soucie Vineyard, planted 1916, and Mettler Vineyard, planted 1907. There are definitely quite a few more very old Zin vineyards in the Lodi area, but most have never gotten much recognition since few have been bottled as vineyard designates. I'm sure that's also the case in the Sierra Foothills and other parts of California as well. Even today, Klinker Brick in Lodi produces its Old Vine and Old Ghost Zinfandel bottlings with no reference to the vineyard sources, though invariably some are from century-old vines.
ITB, Harrington Wines & Eno Wines, and Grape-Nutz.com

Dave Negus

#21 Post by Dave Negus »

Carol Shelton gets her Monga Zin from Lopez Vineyard planted in 1918. Those who live in LA can see it on the way to Vegas, near the intersection of the 15 and 205.
In Mira Loma, the Galleano vineyard was already planted when the Galleano family bought the property in 1927.
For another take on the history of California wine there is the Rancho de Philo in in Alta Loma. I'm not sure how old the vines are, but the Biane family has been making a sherry using Mission grapes since 1975.
Corked wines aren't romantic

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Nope....

#22 Post by TomHill »

Ken Zinns wrote:
TomHill wrote:Mendocino: Tollini, Recetti, Ciapusci, DuPratt.
Good call on those old Mendocino Ridge Zin vineyards, Tom - I'd forgotten about those. Zeni (planted in the 1910s) and Perli (original plantings are 19th century but may have been replanted since then, don't know) are a couple of others. I'd actually spotted this interesting article about Mendo Ridge Zin some time ago:
http://westernfarmpress.com/mag/farming ... zinfandel/
It mentions that as many as 400 acres may have been planted there before Prohibition. Don't know how many of those old plantings survived though..
Ya missed that one, Ken. Tollini is that very old vnyd on your left, just as you leave the last signs of civilization, just afore the dams/ponds on your right, as you're heading
up the canyon and into hillbilly country going up to Casey's. Don't remember who used to do a Tollini vnyd designate, though.
And forgot the Zeni. Both Edmeades and Fetzer used that one. Back in their glory days...long/long ago.
Tom

J a m e s Vineyard

Re: And....

#23 Post by J a m e s Vineyard »

TomHill wrote:Good thread, Mike. Officer Mike has been paged to give us the inside skinny.

Mendocino: Tollini, Recetti, Ciapusci, DuPratt.

There's one down in Cucamonga that CarolShelton takes grapes from.

Tom
Tom, is the Cucamonga vineyard you are thinking of the De Ambrogio ranch? I haven't seen that vineyard on a label in forever. Is anyone still using the grapes? I had a '97 Geyser Peak bottling from that vineyard that was really tasty.

James
CT: OneLastSyrah

J a m e s Vineyard

#24 Post by J a m e s Vineyard »

Answered my own question:

Per an LA Times article, De Ambrogio Ranch was across the street from Lopez. Sold and plowed over in 2001 for a strip center. Bummer.
CT: OneLastSyrah

Dave Negus

#25 Post by Dave Negus »

About half of St. Peter's in Cloverdale has grapes from 1888. I think it's part of the McElarney and Smith vineyard in the 1893 DeTurk survey.

Bob Wood

#26 Post by Bob Wood »

I'd love to know the name of this vineyard. It's on the west side of Highway 12 right outside Glen Ellen and the vines are obviously very old.
IMG_0789.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

Dave Negus

#27 Post by Dave Negus »

I think the LA Times article is wrong about the location of the Lopez vineyard, at least the one where Carol Shelton gets her grapes. The vineyards across either street from the former De Ambroglio have been gone since the at least the 80's. The pourer at Carol Shelton showed me a photo of the Lopez vineyard, and said it was near the intersection of the 205 and the 15, almost in Fontana.
I worked in the courthouse across the street from De Ambroglio for 15 years. The area was planned to be the center of Rancho Cucamonga when it was incorporated. Old man De Ambroglio resisted offers for years to buy the place, but when he died, the kids sold it off.
He got a ton an acre, if that, from dry-farmed, head trained vines. The soil was almost as sandy as the beach.
When we moved into the courthouse (in December), one of our co-workers wondered why they didn't pull out those dead old vines. My wife said, oh, they aren't dead. A bet followed. My wife won a bottle of brandy when harvest came the next summer.
On my retirement, I drank a bottle of the Geyser Peak version which we had saved to celebrate.

Dave Negus

#28 Post by Dave Negus »

I'd love to know the name of this vineyard. It's on the west side of Highway 12 right outside Glen Ellen and the vines are obviously very old.
I can't tell for sure from the photo, but the Pagani Ranch is on the West side of 12 a little north of the Glen Ellen intersection. The vines over a 100 years old, head trained zin, interplanted with petite and alicante. Ridge has made an ATP from time to time. Good stuff.

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Uhhhhh....

#29 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

TomHill wrote:
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Original Grandpere Vineyard reportedly planted in The Shenandoah Valley ~ 1859. A vineyard of much storied litigation in recent times.
Glen,
There's some question as to the authenticity of that 1859 date. I understand the '20-'30's iis a more accurate estimate. KenZinns has details.
Tom

Hence the use of the word reportedly Tom. There are historians who support that date as accurate and obviously others skeptical.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Bill Tex Landreth

#30 Post by Bill Tex Landreth »

Can grapevines be "ringed" like traditional trees to ascertain age?
Compact Disc and Wine Theft should be reported and prosecuted.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by M. Dildine »

I received dispatches from Morgan Twain-Peterson and Mike Officer. First from Morgan:

Wow, that is quite the impressive list, I am not sure if I could do much better. I did notice a few that were missing, and have included appellation, year if I know it, and the producer.

Please feel free to use this email and post as a proxy for me.

Casa Santinamaria/ Maggie's Reserve Vineyard, Sonoma Valley, 1890's (Saxon Brown, Rosenblum)
Mancuso/ Morse/ Lasseter Ranch, Sonoma Valley, 1919 (Bedrock Wine Co. unless it gets ripped out)
Nalle, DCV 1910's (Nalle)
Vogensan, DCV (now belongs to Preston but was the source for the first RVWD Zin in 1976)
Mancini, RRV (across the street from Papera) (goes to Swan)
Sausal Vineyard, Alexander Valley (1890's) (Sausal)
Rue Vineyard (next to Fanucchi and Belloni) (Robert Rue Wines and Carol Shelton)
Chelli Vineyard (ditto) (goes to Hartford)
Cullinane Vineyard (SV), 1930's (did go to Rosenblum but now to Ledson)
Vellitini Vineyard (Sonoma Valley (Carneros really)) (Biale)
Aldo's Vineyard, NV (Biale)
Black Chicken Vineyard, NV (Biale)
Aida, NV (Turley, Orin Swift)
Tofanelli, Turley, Orin Swift, others)
Weiss Vineyard, SV, (farmed and goes to Turley, this is the source of one of the better known old-clones of Zin and is located near Kunde's Shaw Vineyard off of Nun's Canyon Road)
Chauvet Vineyard (next to Stellwagen, used to go to Coturri now to Ravenswood)
Rossi Ranch, Napa Valley (not the Sonoma Valley one farmed by Carlisle), this is the base of Thackrey's Orion
Los Chamizal Vineyard, Sonoma Valley (though only 30 years old this makes wine like old vines)
Cooke Vineyard (ditto)
Angeli Ranch (Carignane goes to RVWD, and Porter Creek, but Marietta has made a mixed-black wine from here for a long time)
Von Weidlich (Ottomino and De Loach now, though Radio Coteau's 2007 is absolutely magnificent)
Gamba Vineyard (1930's)

Also, Pietro's does not exist anymore. This was one of the vineyards pulled out and planted to Pinot (and has been on the market for the last year).

If any others occur to me I will let you know! This is a fun project, I look forward to seeing what others come up with, there is a bunch in Napa that are still missing.

oh! and Wellington Vineyard (next to Pagani Ranch) some great old Grenache field-blended out there
Cheers,

Mike

Morgan Twain-Peterson

#32 Post by Morgan Twain-Peterson »

Bob Wood wrote:I'd love to know the name of this vineyard. It's on the west side of Highway 12 right outside Glen Ellen and the vines are obviously very old.
IMG_0789.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
This is indeed Pagani Ranch. The vines on the heavier soil next to the highway were planted between 1908 and 1920 and include a few blocks of Alicante (which is what the photo is of), Zinfandel, Mourvedre, and even some Chasselas Dore' and Tocai Friulano. The oldest part of the ranch, the section by the old winery and up against the hill on the other side of the railroad tracks, was planted in the 1880's. This fruit is split between St. Francis and Ridge.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by M. Dildine »

From Mike Officer:

Hi Mike. Thanks for drawing attention to old vine vineyards in California. I think a lot of wine geeks don’t fully appreciate just how amazing and special these vineyards are.

A few corrections/additions:

Bacchi was planted in 1909 according to Doug Rafanelli, caretaker

Other old-vine Wood Rd vineyards include Hartford and Rue but along with Fanucchi-Wood Rd., Dina’s (really Chelli), Belloni, and Highwire, I think these were probably originally all one ranch that at some point got sub-divided. Maybe not though.

Caboose is just a section within Nervo Ranch

Giuseppe & Luisa is a young vineyard. So is Vigneto di Evo.

Martinelli Road Vineyard, originally part of what is now Jackass Vineyard, was planted in 1880.

Cortina is old vines in DCV but not sure when they were planted.

Other old vine vineyards in DCV are Zichichi, Guadagni, Del Carlo, Maple, Taylor, Grist, Cueno, Saini, Henderlong (goes to Nalle, planted 1927). In fact, there are dozens and dozens more.

Zampatti is a new Turley vineyard designate of old vines in the middle of Santa Rosa!

There’s Salvador Vineyard in Contra Costa County, also a new Turley vineyard designate

Another new Turley vineyard designate is Fredericks up in Nuns Canyon.

And speaking of Turley, Moore and Dogtown are old vines. And although they don’t produce from it anymore, there’s Aida.

And don’t forget Biale’s old-vine vineyard sources – Aldo’s, Falleri, Valsecchi, Old Crane, and a few other’s I’m forgetting.

There’s Black Sears on Howell Mtn. They’re old vines.

There are old-vine pet vineyards around Calistoga such as Palisades and Frediani.

Our block at Ray Teldeschi Ranch (as opposed to John Teldeschi) was planted in 1885.

Von Weidlich in the RRV is about 100 years old.

There’s Gambogi (1909) and Saitone (1895?) in RRV.

Jolene’s (locally called Maffei) was planted in 1928 according to planting records.

Also Twin Pines (c. 1900?) is the source for Battaligni’s zins in the RRV.

Ricci is on Limerick Lane. Planted between 1950 and 1962 (maybe not truly old vine?).

Casa Santinamaria in Sonoma Valley (planted 1890s) is an excellent old-vine vineyard.

Samsel Vineyard is a patchwork of old-vine bits and pieces (like Winberrie) near Casa Santinamaria.

I could probably go on and on but I’ll stop there. :-)

Not sure I’d include Pietro’s Ranch (aka Barbieri Ranch) since it doesn’t exist anymore. And the original Grandpère vineyard was planted much later than the 1850s according to research done.
Cheers,

Mike

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by M. Dildine »

Morgan Twain-Peterson wrote: This is indeed Pagani Ranch. The vines on the heavier soil next to the highway were planted between 1908 and 1920 and include a few blocks of Alicante (which is what the photo is of), Zinfandel, Mourvedre, and even some Chasselas Dore' and Tocai Friulano. The oldest part of the ranch, the section by the old winery and up against the hill on the other side of the railroad tracks, was planted in the 1880's. This fruit is split between St. Francis and Ridge.
Morgan, thanks for posting!
Cheers,

Mike

Bob Wood

#35 Post by Bob Wood »

Dave Negus wrote:
I can't tell for sure from the photo, but the Pagani Ranch is on the West side of 12 a little north of the Glen Ellen intersection. The vines over a 100 years old, head trained zin, interplanted with petite and alicante. Ridge has made an ATP from time to time. Good stuff.
Could be, though I've looked at the Google satellite map and the place is actually closer to Kenwood.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Forgot One...

#36 Post by TomHill »

Mike,
Another one I didn't see mentioned: BrandlinRanch. There's an old block on the part of the Ranch
Chester sole to Cuvaison that goes to PeterFranus. And then he kept a small block around his home
that's a bit younger that went into Chester'sAnvil.
Tom

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by M. Dildine »

OK - next steps. Let me sift through all of the comments and post a revised list, hopefully by today.

Check out this video made by Morgan from his Bedrock vineyard: http://www.bedrockwineco.com/vineyards/ ... -vineyard/
Cheers,

Mike

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Forgot One...

#38 Post by M. Dildine »

TomHill wrote:Mike,
Another one I didn't see mentioned: BrandlinRanch. There's an old block on the part of the Ranch
Chester sole to Cuvaison that goes to PeterFranus. And then he kept a small block around his home
that's a bit younger that went into Chester'sAnvil.
Tom
Thanks Tom. Speaking of Chester's Anvil (a great Zin), I'd love to hear Carole Meredith weigh in on this topic!
Cheers,

Mike

Tom Gutting

#39 Post by Tom Gutting »

Mancini Ranch and Ziegler are two Swan Zin vineyards that are very old (1920s?) and right across the street from one another ... delicious stuff.
"If you have extraordinary bread and extraordinary butter, it's hard to beat bread and butter." -- Jacques Pepin

Sean Devaney

#40 Post by Sean Devaney »

Lot's of old vine zin in Paso Robles. Benito and Dante Dusi vineyards just to name a couple.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

And

#41 Post by TomHill »

Sean Devaney wrote:Lot's of old vine zin in Paso Robles. Benito and Dante Dusi vineyards just to name a couple.
And Pesenti. And I think there's still a surviving vine or two from the original Paderewski vnyd.

And there's a bunch down in the CienegaVlly. Made by Flint I believe.
Tom

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by M. Dildine »

Hank wrote:Lubenko (1910 or so) and Grandpere (early 1900 last I heard, though they were claiming late 1800's). Both in Amador
Thanks Hank, I know that Amador should be represented!
Cheers,

Mike

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#43 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

M. Dildine wrote:I received dispatches from Morgan Twain-Peterson and Mike Officer. First from Morgan:
Von Weidlich (Ottomino and De Loach now, though Radio Coteau's 2007 is absolutely magnificent)
Von Weidlich really does rock hard. How old is Rockpile Vineyard?

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by M. Dildine »

Ken Zinns wrote:More in Amador - Eschen-Rinaldi, Esola, and Massoni among them, all probably planted in the early 1900s. There are more in Amador and Calaveras as well. Also the Jessie's Grove "Royal-Tee" vineyard in Lodi, which may date to the late 1800's. The Mohr-Fry Vineyard in Lodi is supposed to date from about 80 years ago, and there are certainly more old-vine Zin vineyards in the Lodi area too.

Royal-Tee Vineyard, Lodi
Thanks Ken!
Cheers,

Mike

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by M. Dildine »

Tegan Passalacqua wrote:Hayne is in St. Helena. Don't forget Moore 1906 in Napa proper.
Tegan, I assume you're refering to the Moore "Earthquake" produced by Turley?
Cheers,

Mike

Dave Negus

#46 Post by Dave Negus »

How old is Rockpile Vineyard?
Both Rockpile Vyd and Rockpile Road Vineyard were planted in the early 90's.
Rockpile Road is the source of the Rosenblum Zin. It was planted in 1994 by Jack Florence. I have seen Rosenblum ads that refer to 100 year old vines, which I suppose is partly true. Florence got his cuttings from the over 100 year old vines in the St. Peters vineyard behind the church in Cloverdale, so the vines are clones of 100 year old vines.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by M. Dildine »

Does anyone know anything about A. Rafenilli's vines?

I'm going to try to visit them later in March.
Cheers,

Mike

Dave Negus

#48 Post by Dave Negus »

Rafanelli's vines aren't that old. Americo (the A. in A. Rafanelli) planted the first grapes in the late 1960's. I'm not sure, but there may be some Zin left. The cab was planted by David in 1986.
Last edited by Dave Negus on February 19th, 2010, 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bretrooks

#49 Post by bretrooks »

My mother-in-law works at Field Stone Winery on 128 in Healdsburg, and they claim a date of 1894 for their estate petite syrah vineyards. Not sure what the formal vineyard name is, though.

http://www.fieldstonewinery.com/about/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bret R., Intrepid QPR Explorer

Tegan Passalacqua

#50 Post by Tegan Passalacqua »

M. Dildine wrote:
Tegan Passalacqua wrote:Hayne is in St. Helena. Don't forget Moore 1906 in Napa proper.
Tegan, I assume you're refering to the Moore "Earthquake" produced by Turley?
Yes, moore earthquake vineyard. Planted in 1906. Zampatti in Santa Rosa planted in 1915. Salvador in Oakley planted in 1896. Story "picnic hill" in amador planted in the early 1900's.
Tegan Passalacqua

Return to “Wine Talk”