Wine Fridge Compressor - Worth Repairing?

One of my wine fridges, a ~150 bottle ubit that is about 10yrs old seems to be on the fritz. I think it’s the compressor as I can hear the fans running but haven’t noticed that usual “buzzing sound” that is typical of a refrigerator compressor. I have a digital thermometer inside that shows it to be holding at 62 degrees, but that is as cold as it will get (have the temp control turned all the way down).

Given the age of the unit, I’m thinking it’s probably best to just replace vs trying to repair, but looking for some advice confirmation on that theory from this group. The unit was made by Avanti if that helps.

Also, assuming it takes a few weeks to get a replacement (or for parts to fix), should I be concerned at all if these bottles are kept ~7-10 degrees warmer than normal for that duration?

Thanks!

62 is fine for a couple weeks

You’ll dump more into repair than the thing is worth. Especially for such a small, inexpensive unit.

1 Like

Who manufactured it?

When my compressor stop working, I couldn’t find anyone who would fix it. So I wound up buying a new wine fridge. Talking to a Home Depot salesperson recently, shared that she had to replace the compressor on a two year old refrigerator, and it was going to cost her $1,200. I found the whole experience frustrating. I hope you have a better luck than I did.

I would also replace. I did have an under counter unit repaired for $600 that needed a new control unit but finding something that fit perfectly in the space would’ve been annoying.

I didn’t want to spend the money as my unit would have cost over $1,000 and that was years ago. I had someone try and fix it but couldn’t get it working again. Costco used to have some really good deals on new units.

Appreciate all the feedback confirming my suspicion that it’s best to replace. At least now I can tell my wife I inquired!

As far as replacements go, while I’d love to get a Eurocave, the space where this will be going can only accommodate 26" max width and the narrowest 150+ bottle Eurocaves are all wider than that.

The Wine Enthusiast Vinoview 155 (https://www.wineenthusiast.com/wine-enthusiast-vinoview-155-bottle-wine-cellar) did catch my eye with the way the bottles are stored sideways vs. traditional wine fridges. Anyone have one of these?