TNs: Some weekend wines (Fallet-Gouron, Vajra, Cerbaiona, Sandri etc)

• 2011 Cerbaiona (Molinari) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (24/7/2021)
    Leftovers from a couple of days before but sealed with argon gas. Shared many similarities to the 2008 that I opened a month back - a fresh, floral nose, an elegance that belies its tannic structure. But this was much darker fruited, and strangely the 08 was much more tertiary and advanced in its development despite being only 3 years older than this, which was still brooding and ungiving. Hold for a few more years at least.
  • 2012 Xavier Leconte Champagne Le Clos de Poiloux - France, Champagne (24/7/2021)
    3.5g/l dosage, 100% Pinot Noir and aged in oak. A waxy texture, clean red strawberry fruit that was balanced by very good acidity. Reminded me of Henri Giraud stylistically but more vinous and less round. Very good with food.
  • 2016 G.D. Vajra Barolo Bricco delle Viole - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (24/7/2021)
    Wanted to check in on this as previous notes said that it was approachable now. Still very tight though, the pendulum for the wine kept swinging between being open and closed over the course of a few hours. When it was open, the wine showed very pretty red fruits with a gorgeous nose that reminded me of a Burgundy actually. But when it was closed it was much less pleasant and a little disjointed with the firm tannins sticking out. Maybe beginning to shut down?
  • NV Fallet-Gourron Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Extra-Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (24/7/2021)
    Can also be labelled as Fallet-Prévostat, Fallet-Crouzet Fallet-M, all after Madame Fallet’s daughters I believe. Somewhat of a rare bird, no information about disgorgement but it is usually an assemblage of two vintages. This bottle definitely had some age on it though judging by its appearance and taste. Made in an old school oxidative style with toasty brioche notes, reminded me of a grand marque tête de cuvee but couldn’t pinpoint which one as it had elements of Roederer, Krug and Taittinger. Zero dosage apparently but this was on the sweeter, richer side, possibly due to the picking of ripe fruits and being vinified in Alsace barrels. Very unique, I do like my lean grower champagnes but this was so easy to love with its unapologetically traditionalist style.

• 1990 Jim Barry Shiraz The Armagh - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Clare Valley (25/7/2021)
    Not as unbalanced as what previous notes suggested until a few hours in when it fell apart into a menthol mess. Lovely on opening, guessed new world from the sweet cherry fruit but couldn’t put a finger on the grape. Very ripe fruits but not overly extracted and the oak had integrated for this bottle at least. Hedonistic wine that was very enjoyable but do not expose it to too much air.
  • 2001 Comte Armand Pommard 1er Cru Clos des Epeneaux - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Beaune, Pommard 1er Cru (25/7/2021)
    A very good example of an aged Burgundy. Good intensity on the nose that is perhaps not matched on the palate, dried cool fruit of prunes and cherries, velvety and sensual tannins. Drinking at peak now - 2001 CdB was an off vintage but I am beginning to think that these are a better bet for enjoyment.
  • 2015 Elio Sandri Barolo Riserva Perno - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (25/7/2021)
    Got a few of these so wanted to check in on one. First time trying their Barolo, wasn’t disappointed. A very pretty nose with hints of VA to give it lift, plenty of seductive redcurrant and dark cherry fruit that was bordering on being candied. Young Barolo that is ready to go, but it possesses enough structure to have a long runway for ageing. Better on day 2 which bodes well.

1 Like

Damn, I think I have to get myself some of that Fallet-Gourron! On another note a friend just visited Sandri and said that the 2018s seemed amazing at this point.

1 Like

I buy 24 Fallet-Gourron a year …

My last Elio Sandri’s wines were great this year (Riserva Perno 2012 and 2013).

1 Like

Thanks Ilkka and Laurent for your comments! And the Fallet-Gouron was spectacular definitely lay your hands on whatever that’s available since it’s pretty much from a bygone age. Is Madame Fallet still making wine Laurent?

I think the chidren are in charge of this champagne today …

1 Like

Sounds like a house Champagne! Do you feel that it rewards cellaring?

Cellaring is always a contribution for good champagnes, even if the wines are also ready to drink.