TN: 2014 Moreau-Naudet & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Montmains

With all these solar vintages of late I think I had to some degree forgotten what Chablis can be when there is no extra fat and the acidity is just through the roof. Having said that I think my only prior experience with Moreau-Naudet (2011 Fôrets) was quite difference, although obviously very different vintages.

What I find strange is that the label here was not the typical graphic M-N label. I had bought it at Fromagerie Berthaut in Époisses - perhaps a special bottling for them?

• 2014 Moreau-Naudet & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Montmains - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (24.7.2021)
    Super tight and sharply citrusy at first, it definitely needed some air to become even moderately approachable. Very yellow toned on the nose with zesty lemon-driven fruit, leesy notes and iodine. Not exactly complex but still manages to captivate with its purity, brightness and intensity. On the palate on the richer side of medium-bodied with a strong acidic core. There is something airy about it but more than anything it is incredibly intense and nervous. You definitely get the ”licking a battery” sensation here on the finish that is just massively tangy. Like a true 2014 this feels at least 10 years too young but somehow you can’t help but appreciate how determined and unforgiving it is. For many drinking it as it is would be borderline masochistic but somehow I find it weirdly comforting to experience a super steely and tense low ABV Chablis like this today when one seriously has to wonder whether ”classic vintages” are a thing of the past in Burgundy. I think this one could have benefited from some extended time in the barrel but I believe eventually it will be very nice.

Posted from CellarTracker

Food for thought: Jordan - Park Melat, Tehran, Iran 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel | Weather.com

Pretty moist! We just had a lengthy heatwave in Finland (by our standards) while at the same time there were many sub-20C days in Beaune. I guess one can only wonder what is to come of this vintage when it’s all said and done.

Lots of disease pressure! Battling a bit of powdery mildew that just reared its head in my Beaune parcel [berserker.gif]

Best of luck! Is it commercial production or only for personal consumption?