TNs: Some wines before another lockdown

Pinot theme where a generous person brought a 1998 Meo.Unfortunately didn’t like other wines much (including my own sadly), the differences between new world and Burgundy Pinots were so stark that it wasn’t difficult to call them blind. Got two of the wines I had before blind (the Chinese Pinot and the Domaine Serene) which was a plus I suppose. The same person brought the Chinese Pinot when I had it last year, comfortably the worst wine tasted last year and this!

• 1998 Domaine Méo-Camuzet Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Aux Boudots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (21/7/2021)
    Lovely aged Burgundy, the depth and finish showed its pedigree. Bit of smoke and damp mushrooms on the nose, a hint of spice that made me guess Vosne which made sense since this plot is right on the border. Fully resolved, drink up before the acidity takes over.
  • 2012 Domaine Lignier-Michelot Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (21/7/2021)
    Pinot tasting so wanted to bring a Burg that leaned towards new world keep people on their toes, and everyone did guess new world. Slightly darker fruits and made in a more extracted and oakier style. Still drinking very youthfully, with air it became more elegant and Burg-like.

Last meal before another lockdown in Singapore.

• 2017 Wittmann Westhofener Aulerde Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen (22/7/2021)
    Bought a few Wittmann based on hearsay that they are similar to Keller for a fraction of the price, decided to check in on one. Rich, intense nose of petroleum, slightly oxidative and sherry-like. On the palate it had very ripe yellow fruits with a lengthy finish. But somehow GGs always taste a little unbalanced for me for some reason, so still not the biggest fan. This is still very young though and will hold for a long time.
  • 2018 Domaine Duroché Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (22/7/2021)
    Needed time to settle down, some reduction and funk at the start. Initially a little jammy and simple but became more balanced with air. Duroche always has a lovely good texture and mouthfeel, but this was missing a little elegance that I loved from the 17. As with most wines from this vintage, it was a little too concentrated with dark fruit for my liking, even though it it still relatively restrained with respect to other producers’ 18s.

I would like to hear about the chinese PN if you have a TN.

It sounds like you had a bad bottle of the Wittmann. A 2017 shouldn’t be oxidative or Sherry like at all.

melvin,
Thanks for the notes! I sometimes find GG/trocken too harsh and austere. Not sure if that’s your issue when you describe as “unbalanced”. Like other posters, I’m definitely surprised about the sherry notes.

Regarding Burgundy vs. U.S. pinot, I’ve stopped serving them together. I find that the combination flatters neither of them. That said, the Meo sounds good! We might open a 1998 Chevillon NSG Chaignots this weekend – hope it shows as well as your NSG '98!
Regards,
Peter

Me too.

Me 3

Thanks all for your input! And yes definitely think it might be a flawed bottle now - and yes what I meant by unbalanced was harsh. And definitely agree with you Peter, not very educational either since they were so easy to tell apart.

For the Chinese Pinot - it was green and herbal on the nose and palate, really awful combination of greenness and overripe fruit that I didn’t know was possible. Tasted of medicine, impossible to place as a Pinot. I don’t usually care much for vivino ratings but the 2.7 rating for this wine is definitely on point.