TN: 2017 Desire Lines Syrah Shake Ridge (USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County)

• 2017 Desire Lines Syrah Shake Ridge - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County (7/21/2021)
    This is at least the third time I have opened a Desire Lines wine, and been immersed in a vortex of savory. Each time it’s different, but it’s always an experience of intense umami depth. This time it’s Syrah, and rather than just the deep black fruit and red meat, it’s also a feeling as if I am sucking the marrow from the bones of the wine. Sucks that I only bought one bottle of this, as the depth makes me want to know what happens with 5 or 10 more years of age.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Nice note David, I couldn’t agree more about DL and about Shake Ridge Ranch. Together, they are an absolutely irresistible combo!

The more I taste, and the more I think about it, I do see a thread of Shake Ridge from this wine to Hardy’s Mourvèdre and Steve Edmunds’ El Jaleo. There is a site signature, even at a high level.

So glad to hear that you enjoyed this David! Shake Ridge is such a special place.

And yeah, I think the wines from the vineyard do show a familial resemblance. If Amador County wines tend towards lighter color and firm tannin with tropical fruit and cola, Shake Ridge wines strike me as additionally kind of purple-fruited and plummy with forest spice. We’re lucky to get the fruit!