TN: 2018 Domaine Bernard Moreau et Fils Chardonnay Bourgogne Blanc

I loved the 2015 vintage of this so despite my fear of the 2018 vintage I had to buy a bottle to try. It didn’t hurt that it cost 20 €, i.e. what one nowadays might pay for négociant Chardonnay with grapes coming from who knows where. The QPR is off the charts here, you would not expect to get this profile nor mouthfeel so cheaply. It also does not taste at all what I would expect a 2018 taste like. It has a beautiful savory and crisp style and is immensely drinkable and food-friendly.

• 2018 Domaine Bernard Moreau et Fils Chardonnay Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (21.7.2021)
    Very disjointed early on, decanted for an hour or so. The nose is downright wonderful with crisp citrusy fruit (lemon, lime), toasted hazelnut, smoke and some spice. Very expressive with some stylish reduction, pretty grand for the level. On the palate it has good volume but very little weight. Very spry and energetic with great acidity. Surprisingly uplifting and refreshing, this is 2018? The use of oak is magnificent, it is certainly felt both aromatically and texturally but I feel there is easily enough fruit to stand up for it. Gets just a tad hollow towards the finish but by all means this totally over-delivers for the price.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Thanks Ikka. I loved the 2017’s from B. Moreau, wish I had bought more. But I’ve never tried his Bourgogne Blanc. Gotta rectify that.

They make great wine.

2 Likes

But not as great as Ramonet? [snort.gif]

Thanks. Haven’t had one since last fall, but I agreed at that time it was a quality BB. I’ll have to pop another one to check on it.

I am not sure what the point of this comment is. It seems pretty gratuitous and silly.

But, recently, I served 2014 CM Morgeots from Moreau and Ramonet blind to several people who would have said the same as you and the majority preferred the Moreau.

2 Likes

i was on the verge of buying this several times and the vintage scared me off…might have to rectify that

I was blinded on a 2018 CM 1er cru Chenevottes this weekend - really good. Fresh. Intense. Balanced. Led me more to 2017.

1 Like

I completely understand, being scared of the vintage myself as well. That said an over-delivering BB makes me a happy camper and as the prices were very good I went for this, Sauzet and Germain. I need to try the others soon.

1 Like

18 Sauzet BBs have performed pretty well for me, but I think they do seem to reflect the vintage more than it sounds like Moreau’s rendition did in your note. I haven’t tasted the Moreau yet, but was able to get a number of good 18 bourgogne blancs, so might be a fun horizontal to do (Jobard, Leflaive, B.Ente, etc)

My 2 bottles of Sauzet so far have been a little tropical in profile, blousy, perhaps a tad dilute, but with good supporting acids and a fine finish.

I see… well, at least getting better towards the finish is something. When you say Jobard do you mean Antoine or Remi? I’ve seen both sold by serious merchants but am yet to try any from either, although I did just pick up a bottle of Remi’s 2017 Bourgogne Côte-d’Or Blanc, which I believe is 100% de-classified Meursault.

I was referring to Antoine, and reflecting on my notes, found it pretty similar to the Sauzet; but I didn’t taste them side by side. I think Moreau may be the outlier (in a great way) here.

No, the vines are in the commune of Meursault but appellation Bourgogne, not appellation Meursault, so they are not declassified.

Oh :slight_smile: thanks for the clarification, we do not deserve you!

1 Like

On the contrary, a bit of pedantry is a nice interlude in a day of writing up Mâconnais and Beaujolais tasting notes!

2 Likes

Alright. Fingers crossed he’s not the only one, though.

champagne.gif

I don’t know, I thought this wine reflected the vintage wonderfully. It is rather round and ripe, but it’s balanced with a nice core of acidity. I think that’s the tenant of the better 2018s I’ve had. I wasn’t scared off by the vintage and went deep on 2018 whites, so I’ve had quite a few. Sure there are some that are tropical and missing acid, but not the better ones. I think the “better” vintages of 14 and 17 are just more racy and acid forward. It depends on the style you like.

I agree, though, that Moreau’s have been better than Sauzet so far. Although I have yet to taste any of my 1er/GC stuff.

Quite a price increase from the 2018 vintage but then that was dirt cheap. Plenty of value still, I think this is a very good vintage for this wine.

• 2020 Domaine Bernard Moreau et Fils Chardonnay Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (6.1.2024)
    A treat of a nose: buttered toast, grilled lemon, nuts and spicy notes. The ripeness is evident and the oak cannot be described as subtle but it smells damn straight delicious. The palate follows suit with pretty ripe fruit and certain oiliness to the mouthfeel. At the same time it is rather firm and focused, not at all flabby. I even sense some positively nervous tension despite the oiliness. There was some hollowness to the 2018 iteration, this is unquestionably more complete and cohesive with moderate ABV too. Not really a mini-Chassagne, more like an uncomplicated high quality regional wine if that makes sense, but highly enjoyable nevertheless. A rebuy again and again and again at the current price.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

need to source some of this :yum:

Had Ruchottes 2015 this Saturday - and it was on fire, but prices on recent vintages are …

1 Like