Retailer check: EmpireWine.com

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Andrew K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Retailer check: EmpireWine.com

#1 Post by Andrew K. »

Update: I decided to apologize to the store for my tone and the way I handled the situation. However, I left this thread here because I still don't agree with their customer service. You can still decide how you feel about this store.

I'm rarely one to bad mouth retailers as I've owned a retail store before. I also try to be a good customer when mishaps happen. But a combination of ineptitude and despicable customer service has pushed me over the edge.

Chang told me about some 14 DRC RSV available at Empire Wine a couple of weeks ago. There were 6 bottles available on the website at a great price. I ordered 3 immediately. Naturally I was concerned that they had a poor inventory system and maybe the 6 bottles were phantom, so after my order I then went back to the page to check and there were 3 bottles remaining. Good news, their inventory updates in real-time. Later that afternoon I was talking with another friend and went back to the page get the link to send my friend and there were still 3 bottles remaining. My friend texts me the next morning that they are sold out, so I checked and sure enough the 3 bottles were gone. Oh well, you snooze you lose.

Fast forward to 10 days later I get a message from the store.
Andrew,
Unfortunately multiple orders came in at the same time overselling us on this product. We can offer you 1 bottle if still interested. Please let us know at your earliest convenience.

-Mike
Naturally the news doesn't make me happy, but with no apology or any explanation, I'm very confused and rather perturbed. So I reach back out for further explanation.
Mike, that's unacceptable. Your inventory on the site updates in real time. There were 6 bottles available and after I checked out there were still 3 bottles available. In fact, later that afternoon I sent a message to my friend letting him know about the bottles and there were still 3 bottles available. I'm sorry if you have to disappoint some other customers that ordered later, but I want the 3 bottles I ordered.
Andrew,
Our inventory does not update as orders are placed through the website. 1 bottle is all we will be able to offer unfortunately.

-Mike
Mike, that doesn't make any sense. As I said, there were 6 bottles and right after my order I went back to the page to send the link to my friend and it showed 3 bottles. Where did the 3 bottles go if the inventory doesn't update in real time? And then the 3 bottles were gone when my friend checked the link the next morning, so if you updated inventory manually the next day, how come it's 10 days later you let me know you can't fulfill the order? This is super shady at worst and a terrible way to do business at best.
Andrew,
Sorry you feel that way, if not interested in the bottle we can offer you we can of course cancel the order if you wish. Please let us know either way.

-Mike
Mike, no I don't want to cancel the order. I want the 3 bottles I ordered. Not one of your responses has addressed any of my very valid questions. Like I said, this is either terrible customer service and a terrible way of doing business or super shady, which is seeming more and more likely with each response that you avoid my specific questions.
Andrew,
As stated 3 bottles are not available. This is one of the most sought after wines and the amount allocated out to stores is beyond scarce. Being online too many orders came in at once and it took us time to sort through to see what we can offer. Since I cannot get you 3 bottles we will cancel the order as it cannot be filled.

Regards,
Mike
So now, not only did I receive no apology, no explanation, they canceled the order that I told them specifically I didn't want to cancel.

I didn't want to be one of those people that give a one-sided report of an interaction and leave out key details, so I posted every communication word for word, so you can make your own judgements about whether to do business with this establishment.
Last edited by Andrew K. on July 21st, 2021, 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
к𝓁ย𝐠

Victor Hong

Re: Retailer check: Empire Wine - Buyer Beware

#2 Post by Victor Hong »

I have had no problem with this retailer, and personally feel that it was trying its honest best.
WineHunter.

Andrew K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3 Post by Andrew K. »

Well, if Victor thinks it's acceptable customer service...
к𝓁ย𝐠

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by John Morris »

I'm not that sympathetic. We've all experienced this. Unless the retailer has a record of offering things it doesn't have (which a few do), I give them a pass. Retail inventory systems are never perfect. Sometimes that works in your favor when they stumble on a gem that isn't listed; sometimes you lose when bottles exist only on the system.

Their responses were courteous, but it sounds like you want them to fall all over themselves and beg for forgiveness and/or deliver something they don't have.

FYI, I don't think you've got any legal claim here. As I (dimly) recall from first year contracts, a retailer's "offer" is just an invitation to an offer under the law. The customer's order is the offer (to buy) in legal terms. There's no contract until the retailer accepts the order/offer.
"I'll pay you five gallons of petrol and a valentine nailed to the forehead of the last lawyer you loved." -- Tom Waits to David Lynch

"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Doug Schulman »

Andrew K. wrote: July 20th, 2021, 8:50 am I also try to be a good customer when mishaps happen.
That's not at all what happened this time. Arguing with someone who might sell you highly allocated wine at a "great price" is probably not the most useful approach. It seems to me that the "unacceptable" behavior was not on the retailer's end of this exchange.

I used to know someone who seemed to want to find some kind of problem with restaurant experiences. The food, service, music volume, whatever. These issues were frequently not raised politely. In the midst of telling a server and/or manager about whatever problem she had found, she would usually mention that she had worked in restaurants. I don't think that ever made her seem more reasonable. Probably the opposite.

JViolini

#6 Post by JViolini »

I'm sorry but I don't buy the excuses of inventory. Just like Andrew said he saw the inventory change on the site. Anyone who has an e-comm site has real time inventory systems unless it's Ol Pappy with his ledger but I doubt you're buying RSV DRC from him.

What happened was Andrew and probably others bought a few bottles, people heard about it (their existing customers or new) and emailed them asking if there was a chance to get more. They decided they would try to break up the multiple bottle orders from 2-3 people in an effort to offer single bottles to 6-8 people.

If I were Andrew and they said "hey man sorry our site didn't put the 1 bottle limit on the item so we'd really like to fill some orders for other people, could we sell you 1 and offer you ______ or ______ at this great price?" I don't think I'd have an issue.
Justin (itb)

Steve Costigan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Steve Costigan »

At best a sloppy operation. Edit after posting: I am referring to Empire State of Wine (esow.com)
3/27/21-Received confirmation email for order of a few bottles of Burgundy (VR) I really wanted to get my hands on.
4/29/21-I emailed them asking if this order was shipped or not.
5/14/21-Received this message:
Unfortunately, the items that you ordered are now out-of-stock. Although we try our best to maintain 100% accuracy with inventory, there are rare occasions where we experience an inventory error.

Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.

We did not processed your Credit Card.
Last edited by Steve Costigan on July 20th, 2021, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I’ve never had a wine that had too much oak”

JViolini

#8 Post by JViolini »

Steve Costigan wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:19 am At best a sloppy operation.
3/27/21-Received confirmation email for order of a few bottles of Burgundy (VR) I really wanted to get my hands on.
Unfortunately, the items that you ordered are now out-of-stock. Although we try our best to maintain 100% accuracy with inventory, there are rare occasions where we experience an inventory error.

Yeah but when you know you are being lied to...
Justin (itb)

Steve Costigan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Steve Costigan »

JViolini wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:20 am
Steve Costigan wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:19 am At best a sloppy operation.

Yeah but when you know you are being lied to...
Yeah, I’ll recommend them to anyone who wants to an order something they never really wanted that much anyway. Otherwise, go elsewhere.

YLee

#10 Post by YLee »

John Morris wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:05 am I'm not that sympathetic. We've all experienced this. Unless the retailer has a record of offering things it doesn't have (which a few do), I give them a pass. Retail inventory systems are never perfect. Sometimes that works in your favor when they stumble on a gem that isn't listed; sometimes you lose when bottles exist only on the system.

Their responses were courteous, but it sounds like you want them to fall all over themselves and beg for forgiveness and/or deliver something they don't have.

FYI, I don't think you've got any legal claim here. As I (dimly) recall from first year contracts, a retailer's "offer" is just an invitation to an offer under the law. The customer's order is the offer (to buy) in legal terms. There's no contract until the retailer accepts the order/offer.
When does it become a contract? When credit card is charged?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Brandon R »

I understand Andrew's frustration here. And then they end the exchanges by simply taking away the order altogether? The emailed answers from the retailer were lazy at best. That's garbage and I won't do business with this retailer.
B. Redman

Dale Bowers
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12 Post by Dale Bowers »

I’ve had this happen with other retailers more times than I can count. It’s only wine. Move on. You’re acting entitled.

Edit: I didn’t mean to appear snarky. It’s a luxury beverage, an expensive one at that, not life saving medication.
Last edited by Dale Bowers on July 20th, 2021, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!

YLee

#13 Post by YLee »

I think it would be helpful if Andrew specified which Empire Wine shop he's talking about. There was a thread in the past with similar names both in NY and some people confused the shops. Would suck for the shop not involved in this matter get hit by stray bullet.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Markus S

#14 Post by Markus S »

Cut them some slack. Like you've never bounced a check for insufficient funds or said something to someone you thought was true only to find out it wasn't. Mistakes happen, and I doubt their system is 'real time': most retailers are still not (K&L seems to be a glowing exception to this).
You still get your measly bottle at the end, a bottle I'll never see.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Steve Costigan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Steve Costigan »

YLee wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:35 am I think it would be helpful if Andrew specified which Empire Wine shop he's talking about. There was a thread in the past with similar names both in NY and some people confused the shops. Would suck for the shop not involved in this matter get hit by stray bullet.
I edited my post to clarify I was commenting on Empire State of Wine, esow.com. Thanks

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Mark Golodetz »

AndyK wrote: May 27th, 2021, 4:15 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote: May 27th, 2021, 3:09 pm
AndyK wrote: May 27th, 2021, 1:21 pm If the email bounced back, they didn't get it, Mark. Pretty ridiculous thread IMO with misleading title.
Disagree.
Can’t access the site.
Password no longer works.
Cannot contact them.

Suddenly two hours after I sent e mails, they magically appear on their site. What were those e mails doing in those two hours. Having a cup of tea?
Suggesting that Vinous might have terminated the access you paid for without notification is ridiculous. Do you really think your opinion on this non-Vinous forum is so influential the Vinous team can't handle it?

Why wasn't waiting a few hours or days for a response an option? This does not warrant a thread on a public forum with a misleading title based on zero evidence. I appreciate most of your contributions here, Mark, but this gets you the "Karen of the day" award [cheers.gif]
I think the award has passed on to you. neener
ITB

OwenB
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by OwenB »

I have bought from EmpireWine.com many (20+) times. Generally, they are pretty quick to ship and accurate. I have noticed during COVID they seem to be swamped and a little slower.

On occasion I’ve had what you described happen, although I haven’t bought something like DRC from them. The one that sticks out to me was 2016 Chiara Boschis Via Nuova, which had just gotten 100 pts from AG. I ordered 4 and they ended up only having 3. It was about $90 and I figured I was lucky to get any at that price, so I didn’t sweat it. I can see how you’re disappointed, but I think unfortunately many wine websites aren’t run with the kind of precision many of us would like.
    B @ $ H @ M

Andrew K.
    Monopole Crü
    Monopole Crü

#18 Post by Andrew K. »

Mark Golodetz wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:45 am Karen, meet Karen. neener
    Different Andrew.
    к𝓁ย𝐠

Joe W i n o g r a d

#19 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d »

We berserkers sit at the end of a long chain of supplier relationships e.g. landowner, domain, importer, distributor, retailer, berserker. For wines that are in high demand, allocation decisions must be made at every stage, year in and year out, and the suppliers hold the cards. If you want to favorable outcomes, regardless of where you sit, then treat your suppliers well. Relationships matter.
    DOTY 2021: Ktima Foundi Naoussea. Amorotti Trebbiano d'Abruzzo. Filipa Pato Bical Nossa Calcario.

Sarah Kirschbaum
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

Re: Retailer check: EmpireWine.com- Buyer Beware

#20 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Also remember that stores sell wine in many different ways - online orders, email, phone, in person, even text. Not all of those avenues can be reflected immediately in an online system. I'm sure with highly allocated wines it's common to have to adjust some people's requests.

It's happened to me many times. It's disappointing, but I remind myself that the wine wasn't actually mine yet. So I haven't lost anything.
    Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

MikeL238
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#21 Post by MikeL238 »

Empirewine or Empire State Wine?
    Mike Leigh

Max S.
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#22 Post by Max S. »

As someone who has had great experiences with EmpireWine, this seems unusual. I could understand if they had an offline order that wasn't logged. Either way, it sounds like they did more or less try to make it right by offering an apology and one of the 3 ordered bottles at least.
    "And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Michae1 P0wers
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#23 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

OwenB wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:46 am I have bought from EmpireWine.com many (20+) times. Generally, they are pretty quick to ship and accurate. I have noticed during COVID they seem to be swamped and a little slower.

On occasion I’ve had what you described happen, although I haven’t bought something like DRC from them. The one that sticks out to me was 2016 Chiara Boschis Via Nuova, which had just gotten 100 pts from AG. I ordered 4 and they ended up only having 3. It was about $90 and I figured I was lucky to get any at that price, so I didn’t sweat it. I can see how you’re disappointed, but I think unfortunately many wine websites aren’t run with the kind of precision many of us would like.
    I've had great experiences with Empire (none with ESOW). Obviously no one and no inventory system is perfect, but overall I think Empire is a very good retailer.

Edited to add that upon rereading I see that the OP was talking about Empire and not ESOW. Had misread another comment in the thread as the OP's. Still, I've had nothing but good dealings with Empire in the past.
    Last edited by Michae1 P0wers on July 20th, 2021, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Morris
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#24 Post by John Morris »

YLee wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:25 am
    John Morris wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:05 am I'm not that sympathetic. We've all experienced this. Unless the retailer has a record of offering things it doesn't have (which a few do), I give them a pass. Retail inventory systems are never perfect. Sometimes that works in your favor when they stumble on a gem that isn't listed; sometimes you lose when bottles exist only on the system.

When does it become a contract? When credit card is charged?
    Since some consideration is required for a contract, probably when the charge is made. But we should hear from someone who is still licensed to practice. It's been a long time since first-year contracts in my case. :)
    "I'll pay you five gallons of petrol and a valentine nailed to the forehead of the last lawyer you loved." -- Tom Waits to David Lynch

John Morris
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#25 Post by John Morris »

JViolini wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:16 am I'm sorry but I don't buy the excuses of inventory. Just like Andrew said he saw the inventory change on the site. Anyone who has an e-comm site has real time inventory systems unless it's Ol Pappy with his ledger but I doubt you're buying RSV DRC from him.
    But the tally on the system may not correspond to reality. Any retailer will tell you that what's on the shelf never accords exactly with the inventory system. As I said above, I've had that work both ways. I've ordered the last bottle shown and then been told that they found three bottles in case I want more.

Victor Hong

#26 Post by Victor Hong »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:53 am Also remember that stores sell wine in many different ways - online orders, email, phone, in person, even text. Not all of those avenues can be reflected immediately in an online system. I'm sure with highly allocated wines it's common to have to adjust some people's requests.

It's happened to me many times. It's disappointing, but I remind myself that the wine wasn't actually mine yet. So I haven't lost anything.
    Agreed.
    WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#27 Post by Victor Hong »

Andrew K. wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:01 am Well, if Victor thinks it's acceptable customer service...
    If you want to see bad customer service (and food), visit my shop in the Empire City. [barf1.gif]

I would tell Empire Wine to beware of some shoppers. neener
    Last edited by Victor Hong on July 20th, 2021, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
    WineHunter.

HoosJustinG
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#28 Post by HoosJustinG »

What should’ve happened is a reply of “We had an offline buyer for some of the bottles which the guy who entered the bottles into inventory forgot to account for. Normally this is not an issue but since DRC is highly sought after, it was unfortunately an issue in this case as you bought it online before an audit caught the mistake. We sincerely apologize, but as I’m sure you understand DRC wines are highly allocated and I simply can’t get more to fulfill your order. By way of apology please use coupon code IMSORRY15 to take 15% off any other wine you may be looking at.”

And done. The fact that they’re obfuscating here is not a federal offense, but they’re not “covering themselves in glory” with regard to customer service, either…
    I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Victor Hong

#29 Post by Victor Hong »

HoosJustinG wrote: July 20th, 2021, 10:10 am What should’ve happened is a reply of “We had an offline buyer for some of the bottles which the guy who entered the bottles into inventory forgot to account for. Normally this is not an issue but since DRC is highly sought after, it was unfortunately an issue in this case as you bought it online before an audit caught the mistake. We sincerely apologize, but as I’m sure you understand DRC wines are highly allocated and I simply can’t get more to fulfill your order. By way of apology please use coupon code IMSORRY15 to take 15% off any other wine you may be looking at.”

And done. The fact that they’re obfuscating here is not a federal offense, but they’re not “covering themselves in glory” with regard to customer service, either…
    The poster may be been the second online shopper ordering the wine.
    WineHunter.

williamwhelan

#30 Post by williamwhelan »

Feels like the retailer saying something as simple as, "We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience, but..." would have gone a long way. I don't see a "sorry" or "apologize" in there at all.
    ITB, DTC sales

Mark Golodetz
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#31 Post by Mark Golodetz »

Andrew K. wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:47 am
    Mark Golodetz wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:45 am Karen, meet Karen. neener
    Different Andrew.
    Apologies. No excuse for not checking.
    ITB

Jonathan Jaggers
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#32 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

I certainly understand the disappointment. I've had that similar inventory errors happen with other wine retailers (not with Empire, I've had good experiences with them).

However, I'm not sure what you wanted them to do at the point when they only had 1 bottle left to offer you & why you kept pressing to try to make them spin 2 more out of thin air.
    If there's a dog in the house, you're never drinking alone

John S

#33 Post by John S »

I think most of us have had this happen with any online order of a scarce bottle. Personally I never trust the web inventory of stuff like that but it does not excuse the merchants error. With items like this I call before placing the order and verify the price and quantity. I will even place the order with the salesperson on the phone and ask his/her name. I have never had an inventory mess up with this approach but 2/3 times I called to check before the order it was quickly determined the wine was not in stock at the qty I wanted as was shown on the web site. Once I started doing this it solved similar issues. Again not blaming anyone here or saying this is the way things should done but offering my solution to a super common wine buying issue.
    John Sprow

Victor Hong

#34 Post by Victor Hong »

Jonathan Jaggers wrote: July 20th, 2021, 10:18 am I certainly understand the disappointment. I've had that similar inventory errors happen with other wine retailers (not with Empire, I've had good experiences with them).

However, I'm not sure what you wanted them to do at the point when they only had 1 bottle left to offer you & why you kept pressing to try to make them spin 2 more out of thin air.
    Empire should have ordered two more bottles from Acker Merrall or Rudy Kurniawan.
    WineHunter.

AndyK
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#35 Post by AndyK »

Mark Golodetz wrote: July 20th, 2021, 9:45 am
    AndyK wrote: May 27th, 2021, 4:15 pm
    Suggesting that Vinous might have terminated the access you paid for without notification is ridiculous. Do you really think your opinion on this non-Vinous forum is so influential the Vinous team can't handle it?

Why wasn't waiting a few hours or days for a response an option? This does not warrant a thread on a public forum with a misleading title based on zero evidence. I appreciate most of your contributions here, Mark, but this gets you the "Karen of the day" award [cheers.gif]
    I think the award has passed on to you. neener
    This is getting more and more embarrassing for you, Mark...
    k0berl | IG: @glou.sf

ybarselah

#36 Post by ybarselah »

OP is not a customer worth having, IMO. The emails confirm this. I would never ever attempt to come to this conclusion based on a similar thread, but OP provides the verbatim evidence.

I still cannot believe that after a million similar threads, folks absolutely refuse to pick up the phone and order from a human being that can tell you right then and there if the wine is available. You're not buying socks on amazon. if your expectations are the same, then you need to manage them accordingly if your desire is to actually procure wine, as opposed to complaining online.
    Yaacov (ITB)

Andrew K.
    Monopole Crü
    Monopole Crü

#37 Post by Andrew K. »

I appreciate all the sincere and considerate responses regardless of whether you agree with me.

William really hit the nail on the head. An actual apology and honesty about what happened is really all I was looking for. They never even took blame for doing anything wrong let alone apologized for the error. And then of course canceling my order out of spite because I had the audacity to question their benevolence of offering me 1 bottle was the icing on the cake.

I don't really need the wine, I have some of this cuvée anyway, and at this point I'm happy I have $4800 back in my pocket instead of in theirs.
    к𝓁ย𝐠

Victor Hong

#38 Post by Victor Hong »

Andrew K. wrote: July 20th, 2021, 10:39 am I appreciate all the sincere and considerate responses regardless of whether you agree with me.

William really hit the nail on the head. An actual apology and honesty about what happened is really all I was looking for. They never even took blame for doing anything wrong let alone apologized for the error. And then of course canceling my order out of spite because I had the audacity to question their benevolence of offering me 1 bottle was the icing on the cake.

I don't really need the wine, I have some of this cuvée anyway, and at this point I'm happy I have $4800 back in my pocket instead of in theirs.
    Based on your first post, the merchant offered all which it had. No audacity was necessary. Just truth.
    WineHunter.

JViolini

#39 Post by JViolini »

ybarselah wrote: July 20th, 2021, 10:35 am You're not buying socks on amazon.
    95% of wine shops with a website will have real time inventory. So it's not, but it's the same technology.

12:00 You call
    12:05 End BSing and hang up
    12:10 Manual Order can't be processed, no inventory

The issue is that at 12:04 someone went online and bought them. Now you as a retailer have to decide...
    Justin (itb)

Mich@el Ch@ng
    Monopole Crü
    Monopole Crü

#40 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I feel like this has happened to me a lot lately with online inventory which is supposedly real time. Probably 3-4x in the last couple months I’ve had orders canceled or quantities decreased from orders typically of popular wines at good prices: 14 rsv (from a different vendor) 15 Hudelot cv and 96 Krug.

ybarselah

#41 Post by ybarselah »

JViolini wrote: July 20th, 2021, 10:43 am
    95% of wine shops with a website will have real time inventory. So it's not, but it's the same technology.

The issue is that at 12:04 someone went online and bought them. Now you as a retailer have to decide...
    you (likely) inadvertently proved my point - there's no such thing as "real time inventory" on a small enough time scale for certain items. 99.9% of the wines OP didn't buy at the store were in stock and ready to go, but the wine he wanted wasn't. no one posts that "i placed an order online and i got the wines. i have no idea if the owner is an *sshole because we didn't have any communications"
    Yaacov (ITB)

Victor Hong

#42 Post by Victor Hong »

ybarselah wrote: July 20th, 2021, 11:00 am
    JViolini wrote: July 20th, 2021, 10:43 am

you (likely) inadvertently proved my point - there's no such thing as "real time inventory" on a small enough time scale for certain items. 99.9% of the wines OP didn't buy at the store were in stock and ready to go, but the wine he wanted wasn't. no one posts that "i placed an order online and i got the wines. i have no idea if the owner is an *sshole because we didn't have any communications"
    He seems to regard rare, collectible bottles as easily obtainable in real-time as ETFs.
    WineHunter.

Paul Flynn
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#43 Post by Paul Flynn »

FWIW, I buy from Empire Wine several times a year and have never had a problem. I'm not buying anything highly allocated like DRC but I've been buying from them for well over a decade without issue.
    Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

DanielP
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#44 Post by DanielP »

Last edited by DanielP on July 20th, 2021, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    P@ik

mattcitrang
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#45 Post by mattcitrang »

DanielP wrote: July 20th, 2021, 11:39 am They too didn't have the '16 PdB Asili in stock, but I never got an email that it wasn't in stock, only the confirmation email for my order. I went to go pick it up, and of course they don't have it, but they did try to offer a few random other '16 crus that they conveniently had on hand.
    pick ups from the store tend to adversely affect inventory.

If someone goes to the store and purchases the item off the shelf before someone in the processing the online order picks the item off the shelf. None in stock. Inventory error!
    Ace Citrang10

DanielP
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#46 Post by DanielP »

mattcitrang wrote: July 20th, 2021, 11:49 am
    DanielP wrote: July 20th, 2021, 11:39 am They too didn't have the '16 PdB Asili in stock, but I never got an email that it wasn't in stock, only the confirmation email for my order. I went to go pick it up, and of course they don't have it, but they did try to offer a few random other '16 crus that they conveniently had on hand.

If someone goes to the store and purchases the item off the shelf before someone in the processing the online order picks the item off the shelf. None in stock. Inventory error!
    No, they told me that they misread their quantities from their supplier and massively oversold. They just never let me know about it before I took the time to go to pick up.
    P@ik

m. ristev

#47 Post by m. ristev »

would op be just as perturbed if the order was for some bourgogne rouge rather than drc? probably not...
    mајкл

Brent S
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#48 Post by Brent S »

Wallys constantly does this. Drives me crazy.
    Br en t. Sp ren kle
    Manhattan Beach, Ca

YLee

#49 Post by YLee »

DanielP wrote: July 20th, 2021, 11:50 am
    mattcitrang wrote: July 20th, 2021, 11:49 am

No, they told me that they misread their quantities from their supplier and massively oversold. They just never let me know about it before I took the time to go to pick up.
    Are you talking about Empire State of Wine or Empire Wine?
    -¥ 0 ñ 9

Keith Levenberg

#50 Post by Keith Levenberg »

I would never expect to be able to put in a web order for DRC listed well below market price in tiny quantities and actually have that order filled. But you found a shop willing to sell you one bottle below market, which is pretty good. If you'd taken them up on it you might have built a relationship that gets you a crack at future allocations.

Return to “Wine Talk”