first experience with Txakolina

Had one of these recently for the first time and found it to be delightful, light-bodied, slightly spritzy, brisk, clean and refreshing with nice salinity, citrus, and maybe a crunchy Asian pear, only about 12.0% abv, great summer wine. The bottle we opened was Ulacia Txakolina Getariako, also interesting to me because I’d like to walk the Camino del Norte, which goes right through there. Txakolina is not widely available where I live, but I did find examples of two other producers that I look forward to opening soon. I’d also like very much to try a Spanish sidra from Basque country if I can find it.

2 Likes

Best place to try a Sidre in in Northern Spain. A couple of dollars a bottle in restaurants. We always have a bottle of Txakolina in our fridge in the summer

1 Like

I love the Txakolinas from Getaria. So delicious and very mineral. Lighter too in general. 12% is actually on the higher alcohol side for that area. Txomin Etxaniz is my favorite. Love the rose too.

1 Like

This is everything I want to say.

Ameztoi Getariako Txakolina Rubentis for me.

2 Likes

K&L sometimes has them but sour ones are a bit too much for me. When we’re having cider…I stick to the Normandy ones.

+1. The regular white Ametzoi is nice as well, but the Rubentis can hold it’s own with just about any rose from around the world.