German Floods

Terrible images and significant loss of life. Wine isn’t really important compared with the wider carnage but a couple of pics I saw:
C408783E-BC1A-4AE5-930E-CE4A5E9AF734.jpeg
FDDFA119-3624-4871-95AD-F0807FEC54C1.jpg

Horrible.

It’s absolutely awful.

It does sound terrible for much of Germany and elsewhere. But the Mosel floods pretty regularly, so this is not that unusual. When I visited some years ago, I was told they’re used to dealing with the river flooding. They tie the barrels down, ride it out, and clean up afterward.

Where was the first picture taken? Wuerzburg? Or further north, like along the Moselle?

The recent photos from the Selbach IG do not look good.

Bernkastel.

This is unprecedented and very serious. Much different from the bi-annual “we’ll have to put up some sandbags and let the cellar drain afterwards” events Germany’s river valleys are accustomed to.

The BBC captured it well: Germany floods: Dozens killed after record rain in Germany and Belgium - BBC News

Flooding happens, but not like this and the worst floods are north of the Mosel and the wine regions. Right now, there are 50 confirmed dead and over 1000 missing. That is not an annual or every couple of years event.

Unreal.

I understand the Ahr has seen very widespread devastation, awful.

Pics of Dernau & Bad Neuenahr.
Apparently the bridge built in 1723 right in front of the Jean Stodden winery has collapsed as well.

Damn, I stayed in Dernau for a couple of nights a few years ago and our rental house was down there right by the road. Just horrible.

It is really bad. Seems to be something that happens very rarely, like once every 100 years in the area. :sleepy:

If it’s one thing we know, it is that 100 year occurences are moving towards 10 year occurences.

So sad. I drove through the whole Ahr in 2018, such a secluded, peaceful and idyllic region.

German media are reporting that the Mosel has escaped with just a black eye (their words) and hasn’t been enormously impacted.
I remember from visiting Clemens Busch that he marked the different flooding levels throughout the years on his family house. So they’re used to it (if that’s possible) I guess. Areas to the north had almost unprecedented flooding levels.

Some places on the Danube have lines painted on a wall with a date. It’s how high the river flooded. It’s shocking since the river was a 5 minute walk away.

NBC News: Dozens dead, more than 1,000 may be missing after floods in Germany.

I emailed a cousin near Karlsruhe Wednesday and called a friend in Cologne this morning. No response from either. I’m wondering how disrupted the phone and internet networks are.

The friend in Cologne that I mentioned just replied with this report. His apartment building, which has a cellar where he stores wine, is some distance from the Rhine.

We drove down to the Rheingau on Wednesday and the rain was apocalyptic. Never seen anything like it. And when I got back to Cologne last night I thought we would have a flooded cellar. In the end the cellar was fine, we got off very lightly. Rhine will go over the banks in Cologne but nothing terrible.
To the south west and east it really has been catastrophic. Hundreds of houses close to collapse. I’m sure you’ve seen the death toll. Unbelievable. Whole families.
Ahr towns almost wiped out.

Not the usual “we’ve had a lot of rain and it’s causing flooding” kind of picture from germany