Help with Champagne--can't open

I removed the foils and cage, but the cork barely came out a few mm. I fear that any more struggling will break off the cork, or worse yet it may explode and become dangerous. For now I placed it outside in a trash can, as I don’t want any surprises inside the house near me.

So just junk it or are there any safe solutions?

Thanks.

Sabre it.

2 Likes

Agree. Put the cage back on temporarily while you give it a good chill, and then sabre it.

That would be a solution, but too chicken to do it.

You covered it with a towel and twisted and it won’t move?

But if you just trash it you are leaving a pressurized glass “bomb” for the garbage collection.

I had that happen once. Had to resort to vice grip pliers.

I know David, this is a temporary solution. Yes, covered in towel, would not budge. All I can see in my mind is glass shrapnel flying all over. No more Champagne for me for some time to come.

Cautiously, I’ve used a cork screw, successfully…It’s all about ‘getting a grip’.

Wrap in towel, twist cork with pliers. I have some 750 beers closed very tightly with corks that I also have to do this with.

I’ve done that with a domestic bubbly that has exceptionally tight corks (I think three bottles opened with one more left). I recently also had a Champagne where the cork broke and had to use a corkscrew. The bottle had very low pressure, was a bit advanced, and seemed heat damaged. But, at least there were no flying projectiles.

-Al

This

If the cork is just stuck, but doesn’t seem to be coming apart, I agree with the pliers suggestion. A pair of Channelocks would be great for this.

If the concern is the top of the cork breaking off of the part in the neck, I’d still sabre it (wear work gloves and safety goggles if you’re concerned, and give it a good chill - this is assuming it’s genuine Champagne). Or you could try the pliers and if it breaks off, try a corkscrew or an ah-so, again with gloves and goggles and being careful to point it away from your face while working.

Sabreing is the cool choice. Outside of that, pull with your hands, Champagne cork grips, pliers, vice grips, etc… The cork will probably break off at the top of the bottle. On the borken cork that is still stuck in the bottle, use a corkscrew and aim the bottle away from anyone or anything that could be damaged. Normally it pulls fine with the corkscrew and without incident or worry. Just keep a good grip and control things through the process.

Get one of these. Put the cage back on without the crown cap. Screw this all the way through the center of the cork. The Champagne will come up through the holes at the base right above the screw and the glow can be controlled through the thumbscrew at the top. Champagne on tap!
image.jpg
AF527007-94F6-42CF-9229-DB12982BA5EB.jpeg
54C0C524-F114-424C-9177-ED88D0CE7185.jpeg
61013AB4-2B51-4C5F-BE09-F01020F15B39.jpeg

Pliers. If it breaks, corkscrew. If everything fails, drill it will a 1/4 inch drill. that will relieve pressure, and will remove enough cork that you should then be able to pull it.

Didn’t know this was a thing. What’s this tool called?

A Champagne tap. I have several, including shorter ones. Careful using Google search. It’s also a reference to a first rate spinal tap

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up in the google search. Stumbled on this video with a quick google search

Couple of questions:
-if you need to keep the bottle upside down to keep the gas in, how do you chill it?
-any precautions in removing the tool with champagne still in the bottle or do you have to completely empty the bottle?

Pliers, or one of these

1 Like