TN: 2020 Massican Sauvignon Blanc (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Trying the Massican for the second consecutive vintage, because I didn’t hate the 2019. I don’t hate this either. It’s actually quite interesting, and food friendly. Good acidity, citrus and an intriguing finishing note that I cannot quite put my finger on. I keep going back for another sip, because I want to know what it is. Melon? No. Cat pee from a feline that has been eating pineapple? No. I finally stepped outside to our garden, and it’s lemon sage! It’s an exact match. Fascinating. Good stuff here. I might have to track down another bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker

Next thing we know you’ll be posting notes on your favorite chenin Blanc :wink:

Favorite Chenin Blanc is easy. Huet 1er Trie.

Can’t argue with any Huet! But I could have sworn you hated the grape, no?

I do. Make it sweet enough and throw in some botrytis, and it can be anything.

2 Likes

p.s. I hate Sauvignon Blanc a lot more than Chenin, but throw in some botrytis and make it really sweet, and you have Sauternes, which I really like.

I’ll save one of my 1989 Moelleux for whenever we meet up.

1 Like

I will bring the ‘96.

Massican is the best.

1 Like

What have you done to the David Bueker we know and love [wink.gif]

Tom

This always happens during CSA season. I try anything to work with all the veggies.

I will go back to Grüner Veltliner soon.

1 Like

I just opened a bottle of 2013 that I had forgotten I still had. Some older notes, like sherry, but for sure grapefruit, melon on the nose. Acidity is very strong, in a good way. It’s insanely deep. Very rich texture. Grapefruit, apple pie spices, anise. It tastes young.

Really shows how well-made SB can easily age.

(Full disclosure - Dan is a friend, but I wouldn’t have posted this if the wine sucked)