What to pour with shakshouka?

Think tomato/red bell pepper/onions cooked with garlic, harissa, cumin and a bit of smoked paprika, then eggs pouched in mixture with micro greens and parsley scattered over top. Maybe sliced avocados.

Entertaining a friend who is vegan except eats eggs. I have served her vegetarian curry in the past but am interested in this dish. But stumped about what to pour with it.

Oh, and I own a bunch of Austrian, Alsace and Mosel rieslings, sec and demi-sec Huets, white burgundy, and Rhys chardonnay (and carricante) - would like to not shop wine for this dinner (other than in my cellar).

Shake Shack milkshake.

1 Like

We prepare this frequently but for breakfast. How about an albarino?

Unfortunately, I don’t think anything you’ve listed will work well, though I don’t think you’ll suffer with a Huet demi. It’s a tough dish. The solution is Brana Harri Gorri rose, but I don’t think there’s any available even if you wanted to shop.

When is your dinner? If it weren’t so hot I’d ship you a bottle.

I’ve had some terrific shakshuka that paired wonderfully with Grahm’s Le Cigare Volant white. While not a Burgundian white, I guess a white Burgundy might be the closest thing in your list.

1 Like

Got any rose Champagne (err…sparkling wine in case Putin is lurking)? Probably not a great match, but should be fun.

1 Like

Thanks, Sarah - it is tonight!

But rose seems to be a theme here. How about Vajra’s N. S. Delle Neve? Sparkling rose made from nebbiolo and pinot.

Any wine that you think will pair well, that is what you should pour. There is no magic match for this dish (or any dish).

One of our favorite dishes to make!
I think it’s always good to do the pairing by taking cues from the region.
If it were me I would open a carignan blend, some israeli wine or maybe even a chateau musar. It would be regionally consistent and the heavy red sauce brings a bunch of acidity and full body flavors that a bigger wine resonates with.

3 Likes

I think the texture of champagne is not the best, but in the absence of something else, not a bad choice. I don’t know that Vajra. If it’s more juicy with some body, which it sounds like it could be, give it a go.

Yeah, I want to go with something I already own and I don’t own any of those. But thanks for responding!

When given a trickier dish to pair by customers, especially with some exotic spicing, my brain usually goes to Alsace. Not knowing the richness of the dish, I’m landing in between a better quality Pinot Blanc that has some better site character and weight or a more basic Pinot Gris (in my mind a Cru level PG could get too unctuous).

When I’ve had this dish, I paired it with white Burgundy, Alsacian riesling and a Malagousia from Greece. The Burg was OK. The Malagousia was better. Probably not the ideal but pretty good. Or you can follow Victor’s well thought out response.

Huet Sec would be my choice. The acidity should cut the tomato and work with the richness of the dish. BTW-we often eat Shakshouka and have paired Rose, sparkling, CB & Riesling. As mentioned, there is no great paring here, but these work and at times compliment.

Had a guiberteau clos des carmes with it once and I thought it went well together.

Carricante might be a fun try.

1 Like

Arak at our house

1 Like

I’ve had this dish many times. Sparkling rose or Lambrusco would be my top choices. I’ve tried quite a few whites, dry and off-dry, and it pretty much kills them all.

1 Like

My mind went to a lighter tempranillo, or Beaujolais.

1 Like

I’d think Xinomavro would be fun to try.