corkage rules in Arizona

Does Arizona allow corkage??

Google answers: Is it really illegal to bring your own wine to a restaurant in some states? | Wine Spectator

Apparently not:

Edited to add: ninjaed by Alan

So much for that trip!!

2 Likes

Protects children, you know.

Atlas Bistro in Scottsdale has an attached store and they also allow BYOB.

I second the Atlas recommendation.

If an AZ restaurant has a liquor license, then corkage is not allowed. Some restaurants that do not have a liquor license allow BYO, but pickings are slim. Some people might have relationships with restaurants that will allow an off the record BYO, but that is the exception and usually due to a relationship developed over time.

A group of us was thinking about Sedona

Yep, one of the few spots that’s allows it (and arguably the one with the best food).

Ristorante Giuseppe in Scottsdale also allows it, as does a small Thai spot in phx - Sala Thai.

[shrug.gif]

I’ve been told by a couple of local restaurateurs that Arizona has a limited number of licenses available for establishments that allow you to bring in your own wine. This sounds dubious to me, but I’m too lazy to research it as is won’t change the bottom line for me - that I can’t bring my wine to some of my favorite restaurants. It seems like a silly law because it unquestionably reduces the number of times we dine out each month, but then there are a lot of silly state laws regarding the sale of alcohol aren’t there?

1 Like

I’ve seen restaurateurs claim on this board that “if diners can’t bring in wine, then we can really develop a great wine program for our guests” or somesuch, but then I go to nice restaurants in Texas, where there is no BYO, and the wine lists are just so bad (I’m sure there are exceptions of course), and I’m pretty convinced the opposite is true.

Of course the right thing would be to let restaurants and the market decide – no restaurant is ever required to allow BYO of course. But as you correctly note, there is no shortage of laws based on false or silly premises and/or which are really designed to benefit powerful interest groups at the expense of the public. I expect this will always be true to varying degrees in varying places.

2 Likes

And political lobbies.

Corkage is allowed in New Jersey, and luckily, we have a lot of very good restaurants that are BYO. Every once in a while, I run into a situation where I call ahead to a restaurant that has a liquor license and I ask if I can bring a bottle or two for a corkage fee, and they say “we have a liquor license, so we are not allowed to have you BYO, it’s the law”, which is not true, but whatever…

The larger issue for me is the markup most restaurants put on wine. They would sell so much more wine, and thus would make more overall profit, it they had a reasonable markup. For example, If I go to a restaurant, and on their list they have a Ramey Russian River Chard listed for $65 (which is like low $30’s in a wine shop), and a 2015 Brunello for $85 (say it is $40 in a shop), I would not blink any eye, and would order both bottles. But it they were priced at $90 for the Chard, and $125 for the Brunello, I would probably just order a couple of Manhattan’s and be very happy. I think many restaurants are shooting themselves in the foot with their wine pricing…

1 Like

I bring wine to almost every restaurant that allows it 1) because I prefer wine with some age on it and most restaurants only stock the current release (or maybe 1 year back if they haven’t sold out) and 2) With 2 kids under 27 months in the house, it rarely feels like a special occasion to dine at home… and I need a reason to open nicer bottles, for the most part.

If a restaurant has a particularly excellent wine program with a deep list of back vintages, usually I’ll skip BYO and order off the list as long as markup is reasonable. It’s nice to be able to send back a flawed bottle instead of cursing your luck.

Restaurant suggestions fir Sedona?

You have to eat outside by the creek at l’auberge. Great food and you can not beat the location. Solid wine list as well albeit a bit pricey if I recall (*haven’t been there in a few years).

Thanks…

1 Like

Mel- sedona mix of must do restaurants (other suggestions if interested but below is a great quick kit list)
-Elote (excellent Mexican) previously did not allow reservations but moved locations- get there early
-Lisa Pisa great pizza and salads
-Drinks on patio at Enchantment at sunset (prickly pear margarita)
-local juicers excellent shakes, açaí bowls, juices, etc