3 Bottles of Linen Calodo 2000 Cherry Red... What am I in For?

Just acquired these three bottles as part of an auction lot… have enjoyed my visits to this winery and with its owner… but haven’t had older vintages of these wines.
Wondering what they will bring! I am not overly hopeful, but I do tend to enjoy older wines so I look forward to the potential of a decent taste.

Damn spell check! Linne Calodo

Oh boy that could be a hot mess. Oddly no cellar tracker notes since 2006. Most likely a decade past prime but please report back

Most likely a hot mess, but sometimes wine surprises. Those were very tasty in their first few years from release.

I always felt like Linne Calodo wines went pretty steadily downhill after a few years from release. But I’ve never had one nearly this old, maybe they have a second act.

1 Like

My oldest LC are as old as 2007-2009, and they’re hanging great!

Just wanted to get back to you having let the bottles settle and cracked the first one. Chris and Paul were on the right track. This definitely was a bottle that surprised me! Not at all hot. It was opened and left to breath but not decanted for about 90 minutes. It was decidedly still quite alive with delicate fruit, sort of in the nature of boysenberry and maybe a blueberry pie that just isn’t too sweet. A hint of mushroom showing its age. Some minerality. Delicate tannins!
An altogether tasty treat!

1 Like

That’s great that it settled into a good maturity. Cherry Red is a zinfandel blend, right? Back during a (relatively brief) period that I was buying those, that was my favorite one.