2014 Ridge Geyserville

Only time for a quick note here, but this was OMG good and in a really nice place. Probably ZOTY so far. Sometimes hedonistic fruit hits the spot. My wife rarely drinks a second glass except when we have something particularly good and last night she went for a third. There was a lot of sediment for a zin, which I find interesting. Cheers.

1 Like

1 Like

I had a 14 Geyserville recently and agree, it’s showing really well now, though with 15+ years of development ahead Rik for those who prefer more maturity.

1 Like

Would love to see how the wine evolves, but I’m tempted to crack my only magnum pretty soon.

I’ve yet to pop a '14 Geyserville. I am in the Ridge ATP club though and have been widely impressed with most of the '14 Zins. I thought many of the wines showed great balance between fruit and structure. The hit or miss ‘East Bench’ bottling is quite good from that year also.

I popped my 2014 magnum for my father’s 78th birthday and I’m sad to say it was disappointing. No tannis, structure, or finish. It tasted like a lot of 2014’s pinot from CA that have fallen apart. Too bad as I love Geezers.

I had a bottle of this about a year ago, and it was fantastic! Wish I had more, I am sure it is at an even better drinking point by now!

I found four of these collecting dust at a wine shop a couple months ago, along with a single 2013. Guess it’s time to check one out.

Maybe it was bottle variation or storage as I bought mine off an auction site.

The way you describe it it sounds like low level cork taint. But you were also very quickly dismissive without much in details so hard to say anything really.

I’ll concur with the OMG sentiment - this is crazy good! Easily my zin of the year, the fruit is high-definition blueberry/blackberry with added depth.

Found a relatively nearby wineshop that had online a few 2014-2016 ridges (geyser, lyton and pagaini, ponzo) at very reasonable prices including the 2014 geyser. Went today to try to buy them all and they only had 2017-2019 (bought a 2017 pagani) out and the only person out working didn’t seem to know much and said that was all they had. Pretty tempted to order the older vintages online and turn them down if I pick them up and they are more recent ones. Just not sure it is worth the effort as I think its a long shot based on the type of place