TN: 2008 Saxum Broken Stones (USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles)

• 2008 Saxum Broken Stones - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (6/19/2021)
    Short decant. We were going to go with a Chassagne Montrachet and an SQN Les Deux Grenouilles but it started raining hard just before we began to deep fry a turkey outside, which could have been bad. We turned dinner on its head and shifted to Beef with mushrooms, onions and peppers in a Thai peanut and coconut milk sauce and Spicy Thai Basil fried rice with black forbidden rice. That needed a wine with more stuffing and my son said “Saxum” so my wife chose this. Still on the upswing and I would guess at least 5 years from its peak. Not knowing the wine, I guessed a 2006 or 2007 top shelf Cali Syrah, but I wasn’t sure because there was a lot of complexity. Berry fruit salad with a spicy foundation. The raw fruit is gone . . . replaced by elegant fruit. Meat juices, chocolate, pepper to go with the fruit. OUTSTANDING WINE! We have more and should hold for a few years.

I am beginning to sound like a broken record, but those who predicted that Saxum would fall apart with age were sadly, and completely, mistaken. Someone should go back and read the old commentaries, identify the incompetent critics, and banish them to a life of Rombauer Chardonnay and Meomi Pinot. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker