TN: 2009 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia

These LdH whites are such brilliant and beguiling wines. Perhaps not for everyone, but I dig them.

• 2009 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (6/17/2021)
    Complex and confounding nose that just pours from the glass: caramel, honey, almond, lemon, and a mechanical oil note. The palate is slightly oxidative and waxy, then you are hit with waves of white fruit, nuts, mushroom, oak and lemon. It’s also at times wiry, rich and sweet with a strong salinity - a lot of umami character that keeps drawing you in for more. Just kept coming on and was still morphing at the the three hour mark, showing no signs of tiring. Terrific.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

I love their wines. I received an email for the 2008 today, but the price is a bit steep. I would love to just walk into a store and find it on the shelf.

I hear you! Got the same offer. The '09s are available for less, but '08 is built to last. Not easy to find, but usually worth the hunt. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

How can you tell? Because I never can, despite decades of experience… I am 49, but I think all of these will outlive me anyway [cheers.gif]

No doubt.

I opened the 2000 for an olive oil and olive tasting dinner the other week. Was rather brilliant.

1 Like

Nice edit. Doesn’t answer the question, though.

IMHO while the reds are great (and affordable and available) the whites are outstanding. Tondonia and Gravonia both. Maybe the style is not for everyone. That is not a bad thing. He said, selfishly. Lol.

1 Like

Just going off some reviews I’ve read. Have not had the '08, but it seems to have some buzz, and is commanding a higher price, if I am recalling that correctly.

I feel the same way! Normally my wife and I share the same appreciation for most whites. Not this one; I adore it, she can’t stand it.

Singular wine, no doubt. More for me.

1 Like

I opened this same bottle last week and agree with your notes. First time I’ve tasted it. A very beguiling wine.

Brilliant note Dennis, you capture the almost paradoxical nature of these white very well. Huge fan. In fact, I just scored some 11 Gravonia slightly under $39 last weekend and will likely open one in the next two weeks. I hear its pretty open for business.

1 Like

So true!!! My first RLH white was the 2010 Gravonia with my wife and parents, and we too, pretty much all like the same thing. My wife and mom had three sips, looked at each other, and promptly tapped out Much to the benefit of me and the Old Man.

Wasn’t trying to. But does it matter? They just age well.

I drank the ‘70 6° Años exactly 2 years ago today at the Bodega. From half bottle. Glorious wine. No sense it was in decline or anything but on a long plateau for beautiful drinking.

I bought the ‘88 and ‘96 Reservas on release. Still haven’t opened them. I’m not worried. I like them best with a lot of bottle age. But this thread makes me think maybe a LdH Blanco tasting might be a good idea.

1 Like

Aged Rioja Blancos can be truly exceptional wines. A tasting of a bunch of them would be an amazing tasting, and not just for LdH. If that happens, happy to throw in a Ygay GR Blanco into the mix as well

Definitely. Specifically, in the case of LdH, I think the whites age every bit as well as the reds, if not better. Talking about 25-30+ years old, I’ve come across some tired bottles of their reds, never a single one of the whites (my sample size for the latter is smaller, but still indicative, I feel).

Thanks, Dale. Nice score on the '11. Post a note when you open it! [cheers.gif]

What vintage was the olive oil? champagne.gif