winereactionsarethenewtrend - solstice edition

sincere apologies for the dearth of recent content, but I have been fully engaged in honing golf skills and reading Coleridge (lamenting the fate of the albatross) in preparation for competing in the Korn Ferry Tour. there has been nary a moment to offer a discourse on wines of the present and reminisce of wines that have passed but i wish to outline twinkles in time that brightly shined.

12 June : 2001 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos de La Bussière.
robust concentration. a 2001 anomaly? or Roumier magic? my last affordable Roumier vintage. a Poe’s raven wine. sigh. fruit clearly matching the structure and time is still on its’ side. a wonderful wine.
11 June : 2002 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #12.
a tad soft and simple but enjoyable. personal preference is for more acid. good fruit.
10 June : 2018 Giulia Negri Langhe Nebbiolo Pian delle Mole.
truly excellent for a basic nebbiolo. the beauty of this wine is in the balance. fruit not over ripe but quite healthy.
8 June : 2014 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph Blanc Les Oliviers.
dispatched with smoked salmon / cucumber / avocado futomaki, realizing distinct similarities to daiginjo sake as noted by resident sake expert. maybe match with tuna (sustainably caught) but probably too powerful for hamachi. honey and oily and orchard fruit.
7 June : 2008 Albert Boxler Riesling Brand.
tasted a bit older than i like with fruit receding and not exhibiting other appreciated components of aging. interesting as Mrs. Boxler noted during my visit that they finish off their rieslings before 10 years of age have been broached. less mineral compared to Sommerberg, my favorite Boxler reisling. but again, still delightful
7 June : 1998 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Eiswein.
motor oil time. intense tropical fruit / apricot marmalade with a touch of fig. good minerality / acidity for balance and carrying the power. quite a treat. actually, beyond special treat.
31 May : 2010 Domaine François Cotat Sancerre Chavignol Rosé.
my goodness, what a delightful drink. essence of fruit but a strength to carry long on the palate.
29 May : 2001 Domaine des Lambrays Clos des Lambrays.
for all the kvetching about wines missed due to spiraling costs, this bottling is more than a recompense at $50 per bottle. beauty and grace that is a vintage rara avis (a latin reference, not the Mississippi ghost town) in my limited exposure. rethinking 2001 conventional thought. earthy red fruit. a wine to stop you in your tracks.
29 May : 1997 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Clos du Bourg.
enjoyed but not bowled over as the wine emphasizes the grape but not the vineyard. but again, personal preference for less warm vintages but still a congenial sip to share with friends, family, and a select few enemies. not suffering from premature oxidation.
26 May : 2010 Domaine Dupasquier Mondeuse Vin de Savoie.
a light wine of black pepper (Malabar? Tellicherry? Russian leather from hindquarters?) and cherry. one of my favorites but the fruit has seen better days. enjoyed for the memories. was i wrong to age this long?
25 May : 2019 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese.
requisite tension and freshness. pure linear fruit that announces itself as with a trumpet at the royal court. stunning.
22 May : 2005 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Spätlese.
more than stunning. a pantheon wine. the plumpness of 2005 more than handled by acidity and complexity. long finish. as i am now.

thank you for reading. off to a Hindbaersnitter indulgence.

2 Likes

Love your notes. I’ve got some of the Giulia Negri in earlier vintages so will pop one (or two) and I agree with you on the mondeuse which I had a couple of years ago had a 2006 of QUENARD and although I liked it seemed a bit past time.

Mahalo for the notes!

Great notes. I loved your impressions of the 2- 2001 burgundies I also own.