RIP Margi Williams Wierenga- Brogan Cellars/ Burt`s daughter

Just got word from here sister, Margi passed this am. She was a dear heart and true spirit best known for making stellar wines in the image and out of the image of her iconic father and one of my best ever friends, Burt Williams. Roelanda and I shall miss you Margi and know you are now happily joined with your mom, dad and brother. We love you all and will support Katie and her 2 sons, Bobby and James, to carry on.
thumbnail_IMG_1964.jpg

Thank you for sharing the news with us.

You brought a 2007 Brogan Cellars “My Fathers Vineyard, Margi’s Block” to our last dinner, and it was terrific. As you say, very much in the spirit of her father’s winemaking.

2 Likes

It was a fortuitous bring Chris. Now, I’ll have to open a few more treasures.

2 Likes

Saddened to hear this. She sounded like a wonderful person whom I wished I would have met and known . . .RIP.

3 Likes

Roelanda and Margi:
thumbnail_IMG_1237 2.jpg

My sympathies, my friend.

I know it is a very sad week for you & the Williams family. Much love.

1 Like

Very sad news. Have only read great things about her on here.

1 Like

Sad news indeed. I always enjoyed her and Burt’s wines. Sorry for all your losses over the last month’s Blake.

1 Like

Very sad news. I bought Margi’s wines for years and years, visited her “winery” and was honored to treat her to dinner in Healdsburg where I brought an old bottle of Burgundy to share. Always so positive and a pleasure to be near. I was in Carmel last weekend for a friend’s 60th and opened a bottle of her 2005 Buena Terra Helio Doro, which was one of the favorite wines of the group among a bunch of Pinot Noirs that were being enjoyed by the group.

Margi will be missed. A very fun loving person and a very good wine maker.

1 Like

The Helio Doro is one of may all time favs of hers Ken. Just checked my CT inventory and have 8 bottles left from 01, 05, 07 , 08 and 10, 2 in mags. Loved the 05 as well.

Sad to hear
48E94014-253B-49DA-9476-B36150EA7EF9.jpeg

1 Like

Very nice Bill. I see you had the 08 smoke laden Pinot. Not knowing how significantly smoked it was, I bought 4 cases and now it has been reserved as gifts for all my friends who like to BBQ. Burt just laughed at me and actually thought it might blow off at some point, but at age 13, it's not happening. BTW, his 09 MDR, and last wine made, is stupendous.

I think it was Marc Hanes, who posts here, who introduced me to these wines in the late 90s. I recall Brogan Pinot and Zins, bold wines, some coming in at 18% if I recall correctly. I was on Margi’s mailing list and spoke with her a few times, she was very jovial. RIP.

2 Likes

I had 4 of the 08 smokey PN. Drank 2, gave one to another fan of Burt, and kept one just as a keepsake/conversation piece.
Bummer that the first wine after the non-comp clause expired was subjected to smoke. Amador zins from 09 suffered similarly.
I’ve looked for the 09’ “Jan’s Cuvee” but they are rare and probably not going to come up on the secondary market anymore.

I learned of Margi’s demise from her sister on social media. The Burt/Ed influence is still felt far and wide, and Margi did her dad proud.

1 Like

Very sorry for your loss Blake!

Best,

Hal

1 Like

I’m sorry I missed this earlier. Blake, what a loss!

I loved Burt’s and Margi’s wines. Fred’s too. The grape sources are still around, but no longer their deft touch and larger than life personalities. I wish I had some of their wines to join in a toast, but they were so good, I couldn’t keep them around long enough. Blessings to the Williams Family.

1 Like

Classy post Barry and much appreciated. As you may have read from another thread I posted yesterday, Margis sister Katie came to Santa Barbara to do a small COL for her and brought 2 of her fine Pinots as well as a Burt 90 Rochioli and a Fred 00` Zin.

Cracked a 92 WS Olivet Lane to toast her this evening and it was great. Fully mature with elements of sage, chaparral and redolent with blackberries. Margi will be missed.
CC011C9A-F11E-4240-9727-71BEF31680CB.jpeg

1 Like

Very nice Loren. Those wines are still so very viable and giving lots of pleasure to any and all.

Being so close to the entire family, I miss all of them and especially at this time of the year as Burt used to do a small 'family" 4th of July party every year and it was the top event of each and every year for me. Mags and mags of his and Margi`s wines would come out all day long along with an occasional wine from Fred.