TNs: Two Bordeaux, One Chablis and a PX

Dinner last night with a guest.
He brought a Bordeaux so I thought I would grab one also to taste side by side. A strong showing by both.

2017 Patrick Piuze Chablis Blanchots
This is really good, with richness and precision. The classic sharp citrus and oyster shell is there but its wrapped around perfectly ripe fruit. Fabulous balance and mouthfeel and despite the density not at all heavy.
2015 Chateau La Dominique (St Emilion)
I am not familiar with this producer at all but this was fabulous. Just so perfectly ripe, showing juicy cassis fruit, richness and deftly handled oak. Still rather young, but gossamer tannins and the juicy fruits make it a delicious drink today.
2010 Domaine de Chevalier (Pessac-Leognan)
Not dissimilar in style and structurally to the Dominique. Similarly modern style with lots of black fruit and graphite. Starting to develop some complexity, but surprisingly slurpable. Has a long life ahead.
1994 Toro Albala Don PX
Wow this is hedonistic, rich and fruit cakey. This just glides across the tonsils and is a real head turner and a veritable bargain.

1 Like

PX on a school night can be quite dangerous.

Nice notes TY. Piuze is a producer I need to taste more of.

pS Don’t let Mr Morris see the comment about sliding across the tonsils while the head turns… :slight_smile:.

Quite silly, really! A good idea at the time though!

Glad to hear good reports on La Dominique. They made great wines in '89 and '90 then nothing. If you look at a map, they ought to be making great wines. I think they are on the upswing, but too early to know for sure.

To be totally honest, my friend brought it along. I had never heard of the estate before and I was apprehensive as to what it might be like. It actually was a revelation. Reading a little about them today it looks like there has been a fairly substantial development at the winery and the vineyards are well situated. But nice to make a new ‘discovery’. The CT notes are equally enthusiastic.

Especially given that my tonsils were removed when I was five! Enough poetic license to warrant a public flogging I would think :slight_smile: