TN: SORELLE PALAZZO 2009 VIN SANTO RISERVA

Berserkers,

So when you’re in the middle of a June heat wave, nothing says refreshment like, um, a dense and powerful Vin Santo wine? [wow.gif] What can I say, I had an Italian themed dinner with a couple of friends and this just had to do with dessert:

SORELLE PALAZZO 2009 VIN SANTO RISERVA

SUMMARY: The single most intense and powerful Italian Vin Santo I’ve ever had to date. Has complexity to go with its power. Have a small serving of this true mediation wine.

Dark copper brown in the glass, really the color of liquid caramelized sugar. But for a slight translucency, this is almost as black as a PX sherry. Super heady aroma of raisin, caramel and vanilla. Literally smells like a raisin tart. Very full-bodied, you can tell its got viscosity simply by looking at it. On the palate, this is raisins all day and all night long, with lush accents of vanilla, cocoa, caramel, and burnt sugar toffee. Super intense and sweet at a whopping 236 g/L of RS. That’s the highest I’ve ever had so far in an Italian Vin Santo but nowhere near as high as a Greek Vinsanto or a Spanish PX Sherry which routinely break through the 300 and frequently even the 400 g/L of RS mark. Fortunately, the intense sweetness is held in check by a small amount of acidity. But just barely. Even with my sweet tooth, I was happy to have this a reasonable 2 oz portion at a time. This is a true meditation wine though any dessert that pairs well with raisins will work it. Such a dessert would require a high amount of sugar itself as well as some butterfat and/or egg to make it complementary. Think of a tiramisu or pecan pie. Delicious stuff.

IMG_20210605_232022_156.jpg
20210614_220021.jpg

1 Like

Wow, Tran… who would have thought of this for Summertime drinking. Sounds pretty incredible. Not a producer I know.
Tom